freeze brand

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
where did you get your idea for your brand. i use PLB on my cows. this is to large to use on calves. I amn going to have to go with a symbol or something smaller for calves 8-12 mo. Where did you get your idea for your brand.

My brand goes along with the name of the ranch. The brand is -$. The name of the ranch is El Rancho En Debto. I just do not know many ranches that are not in debt.

endebt":eccnys1r said:
My brand goes along with the name of the ranch. The brand is -$. The name of the ranch is El Rancho En Debto. I just do not know many ranches that are not in debt.
that's the best one yet. :D

While I don't know for sure, I think we simply chose a brand that was available at the time. We have had several brands over the years, but the main one - lazy HT - has been ours since I was in diapers (no offense intended).

plbcattle":1jatuhm9 said:
where did you get your idea for your brand. i use PLB on my cows. this is to large to use on calves. I amn going to have to go with a symbol or something smaller for calves 8-12 mo. Where did you get your idea for your brand.

First off be aware of brand laws in your state!! Using two brands as you are may make a difference in your shipping or grazing permits if you use them. Also it doubles the cost of buying a brand - in Montana each brand is $100 for ten years - states differ in their registration and renewals. There are different sizes of brands as well - cows normally get a 4" and we use 3" on the calves. Yes, they get big as the critter grows but I WANT to be able to see my brand and I want others to be able to see it as well. For hot branding, depending on what you use make sure you aren't choosing something that is going to blot out - for example my parents use circle c (a c inside a circle) they have to be REALLY careful not to scorch the hide otherwise they get a big round blotch. Another friend used MR bar (MR with a bar below) he made it into one brand to make it "easier" and every cow has a completely unreadable blotch on her side. Needless to say he re-built it into 3 separate parts. We have a freeze brand that we use on the horses, looks great, stands out great but haven't tried it on the cows - though we are considering freezebranding the cow's eartag # on her hip so we can know who we are looking at without having to see her face. The freeze brand is 2.5 to 3 inches tall - not very big at all.

How to choose your brand? You can choose your name or part of your name. Our brand, KOP was my husband's grandfather's brand - you can't miss this brand on the right rib which was the point because of rustlers. My brand is x standing diamond (x with a diamond extending up off the upper right "arm" of the x) I chose it when I was in grade school out of the brand books at the state brand office. Reading through history there are lots of great brands - none are available now, but they might make you think of something. You'll want to make sure to find out if your state still allows single and double brands (one number/letter/symbol or two) many don't. Also there are some brand reading books out there that will show all the symbols and how to read them - it is kind of fun - I like the -$ brand, VERY creative!!

Latest posts