Free Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB

Reaction score
I have around 250-300 4'x5-1/2' bales of alfalfa/grass hay that had a lot of rain on it and layed in the field for up to 2 weeks. It was put up dry but I don't think it has much feed value. I have been feeding it to steers that are on full feed and they will eat it but not like they would good hay. Most is from last year but some is from this summer - last years is better.

There is a local dairy I could sell it to cheap to use as bedding in their heifer barn; but I thought maybe it could be ground and mixed with something else to make a ration for beef cows for someone that is hurting for feed down south. Maybe trucking would make it prohibative but maybe if the hay was free it may be feasable? I am located about an hour north of the Twin Cities.

Let me know if this may work for you.

Yeah Chris, really nice offer.

We sure are having a bumber crop of hay up this way also, we also have had just torrential rains and the hay sits baled on the field, might be able to get them off when the frost hits.

On another board I read trucking charges are $4.25/loaded mile? It is just over 1000 miles to Dallas so if that price is correct I guess that it wouldn't make sense to haul junk hay down, or even good hay for that matter. Too bad. Just out of curiousity how many bales can you fit on an average load?

I think the uy I get my 4x5's from said 38-40 rounds on a 48 ft semi.
Great offer btw!

Latest posts