Freak accident.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Last Thursday the dogs and I went for our usual run, and it was quite uneventful I thought. The last 1/2 mile they took off in the bushes after a fox ,normal, and I continued on.
Bo ( my oldest ) met up with me a while later limping a bit ,he's 12 and has slight arthritis so I gave a QUICK once over from a distance and thought that he just over did it. 7:30 pm

9:15 pm call dogs in for the night and Bo comes in limping more than before, hubby sees it and says he hurt his right front foot ,I look and there is a little blood on his foot ,THEN I LOOK UP......

He had a hole in his chest just underneath the collar bone the size of a looney and you could see right into his chest wall.

Rushed him to the emergency vet clinic and he underwent life saving surgery..Something probably a branch had gone into his chest more than a foot just missing his lung by millimetres and if it was on his left side instead of his right side he would be dead.

It was a very rough night for him as he was in constant pain but by Saturday he was much better and yesterday he walked 2 miles with me and wanted more. He is healing great and is quite the little (85lb) trooper, he was a rescue dog from the SPCA when he was 1 and a half years old that had the boots taken to him and no one wanted to adopt him. 2 broken ribs and 3 cracked ribs weighing 37lbs a couple of days away of being put down and we adopted him. He has saved my life at least once when I was cornered by a Holstein bull and is also the great protector of me and our property.

I am grateful that he is alive and well on his way to a full recovery and I hope we have a few more years together.

Sorry, for the long story but I just wanted to share as Bo is quite a dog. We are very lucky to have him in our lives ... :D

arent dogs resislent critters? Im so glad your old guy is OK and back to his normal routine.

My friend had a similar experience with one of her horses. She got something stuck through her chest and it left a huge gaping hole.

How scarey is that!! I'm glad he is OK. I'm sure with a lot of TLC, he will be good as new. You can sure get attached to a dog. Most of them earn their keep, if for no other reason than blind love and loyalty.

I have had little dogs, I mean ten pound dogs, recover from things you would never think they could. They have amazing powers to heal themselves.

Some dogs I can look at that way, others I can't. But for sure, if the dog saved my life, he will be taken care of and I suspect that is how this dog is thought of.

I have three, and two are like the way you look at it. The other is a dog that would fight to his death for me...on command. When his time comes...it will hurt, until then, if he get's into trouble...I'm there.

jcummins":1qkfg1t6 said:
Some dogs I can look at that way, others I can't. But for sure, if the dog saved my life, he will be taken care of and I suspect that is how this dog is thought of.

I have three, and two are like the way you look at it. The other is a dog that would fight to his death for me...on command. When his time comes...it will hurt, until then, if he get's into trouble...I'm there.

Exactly..

I know my heeler would lay down his life if it came down to it. When Iworked in a warehouse office by myself in a not so great part of town, he came with me every day. And he did his job. Dogs are amazing animals.

This is Bo he has to wear a clean t-shirt all the time as his wound is still draining and it will keep it safe and clean, he had 6 stitches and the 7th was left open to drain or his little leg would swell. BTW of all the pets he is the shyest when it comes to getting his pic taken.

IMGP0841.jpg

I believe that being a pet owner is a privilege and a not a right ,once you decide to take in a pet it is your responsibility to keep them safe and keep them healthy.

I may be worth a lot of money on paper if something should happen to me, but as me husband says to me often " You and I spending a life time together is priceless."
We didn't even question the cost when we brought him in and no I will not post what it was, as I have said I owe him my life so I was grateful to repay with love and the necessary medical procedures.

He is doing absolutely wonderful ,even the vet was amazed when I spoke to her yesterday. She was not even sure if he would recover.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3i0vrrlj said:
You done more than I would have done for him. That there surgery probably cost more than the dog was worth. I look at everything from a business perspective. In this situation I would have asked the vet how much the surgery was. If it was over say 30.00 bucks which I know it would be about a thousand dollars or more I would have the vet put him down.
Everything is business,you say..Hope your wife and kids know this..Guess they do,and guess how you are gonna be treated when YOU are old and useless

HD glad to hear your pup is on the road to recovery. Most of us do what we feel is right for out pets given the circumstances. Don't let that moron make you feel bad for doing what feel you needed to do.

Glad your guy is OK. I remember when Charity had a huge gash on her side from a stack of posts that she decided to play around. She had a scar for the rest of her life but the vet did save her. She had a towel that I kept on her with snaps that I put on as I found the T-Shirt too tight to get a lot of air circulation. Different location though, don't see how that would work with a chest.

BTW - every penny of what we spent was worth it. If something like that happened to Akiva she would be worth it to. If she wasn't worth the money why would I put up with her?? :shock:

Boy I like the way that dog looks. What breed is it? If you already said Im sorry must of read it to fast. Good thing he is healing up okay.

Hillsdown, you did the right thing. There are many things in life more important than money. It is hard for me to understand how anyone would give up a faithful dog for $30. You love and care for them and they will do the same for you. Best wishes to you. Tom :cboy:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Bo is back to his ole annoying self.. :lol2: Wanting out at 6:00 am again.. :roll:

The only thing I feel bad about is that he got hurt to begin with,,what is really funny is that hubby came home last night and he has been gone since the day after Bo got hurt,,well he let the dogs and Kit Kat out this morn and let me sleep so when I got up he said everyone was out and that " But, Bo is running around without his T-shirt on..." I spit out my coffee because it sounded sooo funny like Bo is a little human or something.. Needless to say I went out and put a t-shirt on him so his wound stays clean. Stitch's come out the end of this week..

Cattlehand, Bo is a Scotch Collie x Yellow Lab..

I remember when I was 5 and Ringo our dog got very sick with distemper, my sister and I begged for my parents to do all they could to make him better. The treatment was very pricey and even though Mom and Dad could easily afford it I gave up my ballet lessons that year to help pay for his recovery.

From that moment on I knew that a sacrifice is worth it to save a friend. :heart: If I have to make a few adjustments on my end to break even with the vet costs so be it, I will gratefully give up extras for him. ;-)

TNMasterBeefProducer":vcha0hwk said:
You done more than I would have done for him. That there surgery probably cost more than the dog was worth. I look at everything from a business perspective. In this situation I would have asked the vet how much the surgery was. If it was over say 30.00 bucks which I know it would be about a thousand dollars or more I would have the vet put him down.

This statement more than anything else you have ever said on CT shows what kind of person you really are.

You must REALLY dislike yourself. You spew more venom than anyone I have ever seen, or heard. It's a sad day when you saying something nice is the exception rather than the norm.

Don't bother to try to defend your position on this. It's indefensible, and you should know it.

TNMasterbeefproducer, dogs are not human, you are 100% correct. I've had a lot of dogs through out life, some very special, and some not so much so. I've dispatched dogs that were problems, and had no remorse at all. However, those special dogs, I've loved, and have received that same love in return. It's apparent to me, you have not had that love of a dog, nor loved a dog. That is your loss. You have missed something in life, that I treasure, and I think it's the same with a lot of others.

Well TMBP, Once again you have made a complete fool of your self, Sad thing is that you think you are so great. Every day you criticize someone or post some stupid comment on a subject you know nothing about. I feel for your family, you are truly a sorry individual. You are the board IDIOT.

peg4x4":mqseo397 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":mqseo397 said:
Everything is business,you say..Hope your wife and kids know this..Guess they do,and guess how you are gonna be treated when YOU are old and useless

What do you mean WHEN isn't that true now?????
:D

jcummins":3sbekoil said:
TNMasterbeefproducer, dogs are not human, you are 100% correct. I've had a lot of dogs through out life, some very special, and some not so much so. I've dispatched dogs that were problems, and had no remorse at all. However, those special dogs, I've loved, and have received that same love in return. It's apparent to me, you have not had that love of a dog, nor loved a dog. That is your loss. You have missed something in life, that I treasure, and I think it's the same with a lot of others.

I agree with that. There are dogs that are work dogs or just a nuisance that you dont have that connection do and then there are dog's that really are a mans best friend. I know I'd do what I could if my dog were in trouble.

And Scotch Collie x Yellow Lab what an interesting mix. Does the dog have a too much energy or is it pretty good. It sure looks good, I like the coloring and hair length.

Latest posts