Foxtail

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
Anybody had any luck controlling or managing foxtail, jointed variety I think. Seems you work on your ph and fertility to fix one or many problems and are greeted with another. Cattle don't seem to care for it but it will sure grow. I'm in N MS and this stuff is coming on strong.

2-4d will temporary control it, but it usealy comes back just as strong. You could just leave it and enjoy the increase in quail population.

We brought in some hay that had a lot of foxtail. I burned the area down with glyphosate that we fed it then when it was good and dead I burned it down with fire. Took 2 years for the fescue to come back strong but it has.

Considering the seed pod size and count plus the aggressive growth behavior, lots of luck controlling it on a limited budget and close neighbors. My experience with cows is that they will eat it pretty good in the June time frame but that's about it. Hay, forget it. Makes for a good cover crop to stop erosion.

While on the Millet subject, I tried Pearl for a hay crop once and didn't produce. My current options are Bermuda in one perennial patch and either Jumbo Rye or sorghum-sudan in the annual patch. Johnson grass is taking over the annual and I'm going to let it. As prolific as it is and how well cows take to it, it's a winner. Shoot some food to it and cut it in the boot; yum, yum. Obviously some folks classify it as a weed.....an undesirable plant in a managed plot......to that I say: One man's junk is another's gold!

Foxtail is a grass, not a weed, so 2,4D wouldn't have any effect. Could be that what I call foxtail is a different plant?
I've heard of people using gly in a weed wiper to get rid of it, never done it myself.

Are you talking foxtail barley(weed) or creeping foxtail(highly palatable grass) ? There's a huge difference.

Latest posts