Foxpro varmit calls

Help Support CattleToday:

Salt I have 1 and have won predator hunt competitions with it. That being said do I contribute my success strictly to the call NO. I also use mouth calls and have killed a ton of predators with those as well. If you have questions pm me .. or pm me I'll give you my # and will talk to you on the phone. There is a new call my buddy has that we use more than FoxPro now.

Went cheap and bought the one without a remote control..............sadly it will no be the last time I outsmarted myself.

It works fine it's just a PITA to use without a remote.

skyhightree1":3dowvt0r said:
Salt I have 1 and have won predator hunt competitions with it. That being said do I contribute my success strictly to the call NO. I also use mouth calls and have killed a ton of predators with those as well. If you have questions pm me .. or pm me I'll give you my # and will talk to you on the phone. There is a new call my buddy has that we use more than FoxPro now.

Any quick pointers Sky? I just bought a Foxpro Firestorm off another forum. Should have it by next Friday I hope, so I can take and play some over the weekend. Coyotes and Bobcats will be the main 2 critters I will be after.

Congrats... My biggest tip is learn volume control quick. Woodpecker distress snow shoe hare work best for me going for fox and bobcat. Coyote pup distress and howl locator call is what the coyotes usually come in too.

skyhightree1":ylpfb27x said:
Congrats... My biggest tip is learn volume control quick. Woodpecker distress snow shoe hare work best for me going for fox and bobcat. Coyote pup distress and howl locator call is what the coyotes usually come in too.

Thank you Sir. Hopefully it comes in on time so I can take to ranch to play with it. I prolly will be bugging you for your phone# later on. My only experience calling was with grandfather 35-40 years ago. He used a mouth type squealing rabbit...or thats what it sounded like to me.

saltbranch":3bnr1isq said:
skyhightree1":3bnr1isq said:

Thank you Sir. Hopefully it comes in on time so I can take to ranch to play with it. I prolly will be bugging you for your phone# later on. My only experience calling was with grandfather 35-40 years ago. He used a mouth type squealing rabbit...or thats what it sounded like to me.[/quote

Yw no problem. I've killed off rabbit distress calls but I tell ya woodpeckers in distress is my #1 choice. I'm gonna tell you something else. Turkey calls will bring them in quick in morning hunts too.

3waycross":2pmg7kfx said:
Went cheap and bought the one without a remote control..............sadly it will no be the last time I outsmarted myself.

:lol2: So you're like me, get it set, hope you got the volume right, and run like he!!
I think mine is a Hunters Buddy and I can add the remote feature, just never have. Kids still run pretty fast

3waycross":25pobk1s said:

:lol:

skyhightree1":23yyxsmy said:
sky, I have had allot of success playing the woodpecker distress call over the top of a cottontail or jackrabbit distress call. They have been coming into that at a dead run. I shot 8 in a short period when I started using that combo.

IMO woodpecker distress call is the best out there in my opinion and that's a darn good group of calls to use in a set. How long do you typically stay at a set? Do you use a decoy? If im hunting in cat land I stay there for a hour and a half those suckers are slow to come in. foxes coyotes those fools run in fast. I am supposed to be predator hunting tomorrow if the rain will ever stop.

skyhightree1":vfh18nox said:
IMO woodpecker distress call is the best out there in my opinion and that's a darn good group of calls to use in a set. How long do you typically stay at a set? Do you use a decoy? If im hunting in cat land I stay there for a hour and a half those suckers are slow to come in. foxes coyotes those fools run in fast. I am supposed to be predator hunting tomorrow if the rain will ever stop.
I normally limit a set to 1/2 hour. I use a Primos spinning decoy. Cats are so slow I don't fool with them. Called in the same cat twice last year. He was a fast one (20 min) but I didn't have permission to take cats so I let him go both times.

HOSS":1i6j6plr said:
skyhightree1":1i6j6plr said:
I normally limit a set to 1/2 hour. I use a Primos spinning decoy. Cats are so slow I don't fool with them. Called in the same cat twice last year. He was a fast one (20 min) but I didn't have permission to take cats so I let him go both times.

for fox and coyote I do the same 30 mins and I move. I would rather kill cats than fox and coyote. I use one sometimes there have been times that the decoy actually scared stuff off. There are times I leave my FoxPro at home and just use mouth calls do you use mouth calls?

I use a couple circe mouth calls. Especially if one hangs up and needs coaxing. With yotes that is more rare but educated ones will some times.

I like no I love primos catnip call I buy one every time I go to the store that sells them lol coyotes here use to be dumb till everyone and there mom started coyote hunting when the bounty was 75 per coyote. Coyotes then learned and became super cautious when it came in to a call. I am sure they remember the misses and seeing humans smell etc. There is a whole herd if you call them that of foxes and cats around my place that have moved into my hardwoods. I tend to hunt out of my tree stands instead of being on the ground most of the time. What about you?

skyhightree1":3mgpxdbv said:
I like no I love primos catnip call I buy one every time I go to the store that sells them lol coyotes here use to be dumb till everyone and there mom started coyote hunting when the bounty was 75 per coyote. Coyotes then learned and became super cautious when it came in to a call. I am sure they remember the misses and seeing humans smell etc. There is a whole herd if you call them that of foxes and cats around my place that have moved into my hardwoods. I tend to hunt out of my tree stands instead of being on the ground most of the time. What about you?
Mostly on the ground and sometimes in a stand if it is positioned right. I hunt dairy farms, row crop farms and some brush land. I will set up in a hedgerow across a field from known coyote locations. Set the decoy up in the field about 50 yards from me at an off angle. Wear full camo and have the rifle on tall bi-pods. Sit with my back against a tree for back ground. Works well.

HOSS":2k21iro7 said:
skyhightree1":2k21iro7 said:
Mostly on the ground and sometimes in a stand if it is positioned right. I hunt dairy farms, row crop farms and some brush land. I will set up in a hedgerow across a field from known coyote locations. Set the decoy up in the field about 50 yards from me at an off angle. Wear full camo and have the rifle on tall bi-pods. Sit with my back against a tree for back ground. Works well.

I hunt predators same way that I do for deer in the sense I wear clothes that were washed and are scent free and also spray down my boots and clothes again when in the field. I know a lot of people don't but I can't say that I have had one smell me yet. If they did I don't know anything about it. I don't know why but the predators I kill never are in brush land they are all in hardwoods or the outskirts of a swampy area or creek area. Turkey calls are the only thing I have ever seen make a bobcat come running in. In spring gobbler season I had a yote come run in 15 yards to my decoy I shot the coyote and killed my decoy as well lol I walked to the coyote and my decoy was deflated lol If you every have time you may want to try a turkey call and see what happens.

I hunt predators same way that I do for deer in the sense I wear clothes that were washed and are scent free and also spray down my boots and clothes again when in the field. I know a lot of people don't but I can't say that I have had one smell me yet. If they did I don't know anything about it. I don't know why but the predators I kill never are in brush land they are all in hardwoods or the outskirts of a swampy area or creek area. Turkey calls are the only thing I have ever seen make a bobcat come running in. In spring gobbler season I had a yote come run in 15 yards to my decoy I shot the coyote and killed my decoy as well lol I walked to the coyote and my decoy was deflated lol If you every have time you may want to try a turkey call and see what happens.[/quote]

I see it every spring. My son gets at least a couple of shots a year at coyotes a year while hunting turkeys with his bow.

Latest posts