Foundation Angus Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

What line of cattle do you think most enhances the Angus breed?

• Rainmaker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Traveler

• Bando

• Emulation

• New Trend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SEC

Reaction score
Here's another thread to get going.
I was visiting with a fellow breeder the other night and we were discussing potential herdbulls. He asked a question that I thought was very interesting.

Over the last 10 years name 5 AI sires that have done such a good job that you would not mind in using again because you know what you can expect?

Over the last 20 years name 5 more AI sires that have done an excellent job and you wouldn't be afraid to use again.

Name 1 AI sire that you would breed every cow you have to him no problem. The bull is a changer and so consistent there are very few throw aways from this bull.

If they weren't such sycos EXT has been used alot and did good I think except watch your back

SEC":16onzsnf said:
Here's another thread to get going.
I was visiting with a fellow breeder the other night and we were discussing potential herdbulls. He asked a question that I thought was very interesting.

Over the last 10 years name 5 AI sires that have done such a good job that you would not mind in using again because you know what you can expect?

These have worked for us: EXT, 036, Right Time, 602C, Krugerrand of Donamere.

Over the last 20 years name 5 more AI sires that have done an excellent job and you wouldn't be afraid to use again.

You're reaching to edge of our time in the Angus business. We had some good Scotch Cap cows almost twenty years ago, but I wouldn't use him now. Traveler 71 worked for us on some milk deficient heifers, but I wouldn't use him now. Unless EXT fits this time frame, I can't come up with a bull that fits this category. He was born in '86, but wasn't available AI until quite a bit later in life.

Name 1 AI sire that you would breed every cow you have to him no problem. The bull is a changer and so consistent there are very few throw aways from this bull.

I'd consider EXT and 036 in this category. We have EXT semen, but the problem with using him again is that most of our cows have EXT close up in their pedigree. I am using 036 and hope to get some heifers. When we sold most of our cows a couple of years ago, those were some of the cattle that customers picked first. We sold every 036 daughter on the place. It broke my heart and I hope we get some more daughters from the few straws of semen that we have left. I never had an 036 calf that was a throw away.

My cowherd traces back exclusively to N Bar Rito, Grandpa started into angus around then(60'2)and purchased females and bulls of these bloodlines.

Over the last ten years alot of fads have come and gone but in my opinion these sires would be my choices.

N Bar EXT- highly maternal and fertile, moderate females but you had better not turn your back on them. Disposition was the only real drawback from ext.

Sitz Traveler 8180- not quite as good as EXT female-wise but better disposition.

Venture- great calving and superb daughters.

RR Traveler 5204- another sire for great daughters

Rito 2100 GDAR- the Blackcap Lady cow family is pretty hard to beat.

As for sires in the last twenty years I dont have too much expertise since I'm only 26 years of age. Due to the maternal nature of my cowherd some of the above sires wouldn't be here if it werent for the likes of QAS Traveler 23-4, Emulation N BAr, DHD Traveler 6807.

If I could get some of his semen I would use Future Direction. I know he has fertility issues but when put on highly fertile cows like mine I dont think I would have much of a problem. I used him before his semen got espensive and I really liked the calves. The thickness in the calves was very good and the frame size was ideal in my opinion.

These are my thoughts, but I am merely a "dumm kid" compared to the knowledge that this board possesses so dont be too hard on me.

EXT and 6807 are the only two bull that I'd be willing to breed the whole place to and EXT only if the son that I'm using is proven to not have attitude issues. I don't like the New Trend, and New design cattle. Bando and 6807 originate from the same bull 23-4 so the lines are very similar, I just think the 6807 daughters are a little more attractive. Never been a big fan of Rainmaker either.

It would be a tough one for me as well. I have been around the Angus thing since 1993. The EXT thing, I really like but not enough nuts and they are a little nuts. Right Time's are super females.
I have a couple 6807 daughters and they are good, but from what i have gathered you would need to watch the foot thing a bit as they can be shallower heeled. Plus scrotal.

New Trends, New Design, generally isnt the jam that I would prefer.

Rainmaker, have their place not sure if I would breed all my cows to a Rainmaker.

Rito, this might be my choice just through process of elimination. But 2100 would have his holes as well but certainly lots of positive aspects.

The Viking, GD60 line would intrigue me but that is getting a way back.

I have sold old RR Rito 707 that we plan on using this spring on flushing a few cows. This is pretty exciting for us, plus some old Jetliner semen as well.

I like the EXT cattle. I have a Boom Time bull, which is a little down the line from EXT, but he stands at the fence waiting for handouts. When I cross the fence, he doesn't bother me, but I always keep an eye open for what's going on all of them. One bull might not qualify me for a attitude evaluation, but, this one passes the test.

The only reason I put Bando and Traveler down was because we have seen the 598,5175 thing go over pretty big.
Yes, their pedigree starts the same.

It's interesting to note that Precision 1680 is a Bando 155 out of a Traveler 23-4. A combination of landmark sires has left the industry in a hole to dig out of. 1680 has brought carcass to the table but fertility was left on the floor.
It's hard to imagine being able to sell 32CM bulls for lots of money, as we have all had bulls that were pretty good and yet didn't have enough testicle.

Seth had a 5175 son last year that would have been a bull that would have been worth $7500 plus had he had enough testicles. Instead a commercial guy gets to capitalize on the ways of the world.

I always look for genetics that are a little off the wall, as it's something to play with and see what happens.

Going farther back than 20 years, which is well before my time and maybe a bit beyond what you are looking for, I always understood PS Powerplay and Premier Independence were two of the more significant Angus sires, is this correct?

Also, one of the first "hyped" bulls Dad remembers hearing about was a bull called "Colossus," ring any bells? Said the only time he saw him, they had him so fat you couldn't tell what he was like. :D

dph":3uko2gp5 said:
Also, one of the first "hyped" bulls Dad remembers hearing about was a bull called "Colossus," ring any bells? Said the only time he saw him, they had him so fat you couldn't tell what he was like. :D
Are you maybe referring to Canadian Colossal? (sp)

Canadian Colossal was his nickname. He was named Camilla Chance 37T and was born at Morinville, Alberta. He didn't breed as a yearling. He was one of the first big Angus sires of the "modern" era. He was 55 inches tall and weighed 2500 lbs. The American outfit that ended up with him once sold 500 sons in one sale. Hundreds of his sons were used in Pb herds in Canada and the US. Some I remember were Riverbend Challenger 323'66, Wiwa Creek Colossal 25D (or was it B?) Camilla Chance 14W and Shalco Colossal.

I believe that his first semen sold in the 70's brought like $500/amp.

Pretty impressive.

Yep, that's him. Thanks guys. I think Dad said one of his owners used to parade him around from time to time.