Fore closures

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I do know of one large diary being foreclosed on in my area. But heard yesterday that some more all over the USA were foreclosed on by an Agricultural Lending Bank from California. True or not I do not know. These are operations with thousands of cows at each one.

Aaron said:
Just the tip of the iceberg.

Aaron

Sadly your comment is likely to come true in Canada as well.

Many in my region are truly hurting. Not the dairy and feathers folks so much, but the crops, beef and hogs folks.

The government is not worried about food but the people certainly should be.

Cheers

L

Logar said:
Aaron said:
Just the tip of the iceberg.

Aaron

Sadly your comment is likely to come true in Canada as well.

Many in my region are truly hurting. Not the dairy and feathers folks so much, but the crops, beef and hogs folks.

The government is not worried about food but the people certainly should be.

Cheers

L

This country will be 10x worse. No pandemic money to support ag collapse. Government says to just add their incompetence to your FCC loan.

Not a whole lot of cattlemen left in our area, most of the pastures are being farmed with typical results. There's a reason grandpa didn't plant that ground, it's too poor and rough to be planting to row crops. Throw a $200,000 tractor and a $300,000 combine on top of it, I wonder why farmers can't make money? Most farmers in this area have enough equipment to farm 2X what they do, going broke looking not good but great.

BFE said:
Not a whole lot of cattlemen left in our area, most of the pastures are being farmed with typical results. There's a reason grandpa didn't plant that ground, it's too poor and rough to be planting to row crops. Throw a $200,000 tractor and a $300,000 combine on top of it, I wonder why farmers can't make money? Most farmers in this area have enough equipment to farm 2X what they do, going broke looking not good but great.

There's a reason all our equipment is 40 years old!, We'd rather have a second piece to get the job done than one new one

Forty years ago there were over 3,500 head of fat cattle on fed in about a four mile stretch by my parents house.
Henry county Illinois was the hog capital of the world.
Two generations later... No one want to work that hard.
My six year old son told me the other day, "If you don't have livestock then your not a real farmer"
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to really start watching what I say in front of him, but I'm sure glad he gets it.

SBMF 2015 said:
Forty years ago there were over 3,500 head of fat cattle on fed in about a four mile stretch by my parents house.
My six year old son told me the other day, "If you don't have livestock then your not a real farmer"
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to really start watching what I say in front of him, but I'm sure glad he gets it.
Here in Edwards county, one of the smallest counties in the state, everyone had hogs too. Pork Day USA was the biggest festival next to the county fair. One independent hog farm left now, out of probably a hundred when I was a boy. Some guys had 5-10 sows in the back yard, some 200-300.

BFE said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Here in Edwards county, one of the smallest counties in the state, everyone had hogs too. Pork Day USA was the biggest festival next to the county fair. One independent hog farm left now, out of probably a hundred when I was a boy. Some guys had 5-10 sows in the back yard, some 200-300.

Most guys around here had 50- 100 + sows. All outside in modified A houses. One guy had 900 sows in the field. At his visitation we were talking about how much money John generated in his township. He bought a new truck every year at the local car dealer. He bought farm equipment locally. When John called the lumber yard and ordered wooden gates it wasn't 1 or 2 it was 50.
It was just a different time. Everyone supported local businesses and helped there neighbors.

SBMF 2015 said:
BFE said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Most guys around here had 50- 100 + sows. All outside in modified A houses. One guy had 900 sows in the field. At his visitation we were talking about how much money John generated in his township. He bought a new truck every year at the local car dealer. He bought farm equipment locally. When John called the lumber yard and ordered wooden gates it wasn't 1 or 2 it was 50.
It was just a different time. Everyone supported local businesses and helped there neighbors.
Dad normally ran 40-60 sows, mostly outside as well. We did farrow inside some, straw bedding, and also pastured with porta huts. Old school bus for a nursery, after that on the dirt. We also bought feeders from locals and at the Wayne City sale barn. That placed was packed every sale. Good ole days. They still have a cattle sale twice a month.

Last of our 150 sows left in 1983. We were still making some money but it wasnt a whole lot for the amount of work. Dad was 68 and I was making good steady money being a carpenter 40 hours a week.

We used to raise registered Duroc and we sold boars to lots of individuals that had a few sows. We are less than an hour away from Forkner farms which also sold Registered Duroc boars. Breeders would alternate buying boars from them and us as our lines were not related.

Things are so different now, used to family farms were diversified with crops, dairy, beef, pork and many had a few chickens for their eggs.

In our county we have a new pork facility owned by Pipestone, they had an open house a few months ago but the facility is still empty. They were working on constructing a second facility, but not sure if they are still working on it or if construction has halted.

Unfortunately for many in the dairy industry it is going to be very difficult for them to hold on. The last few years the low prices has hurt the smaller producer the hardest. Now with the current situation it is also affecting some of the "mega" dairies.

Beef producers are taking such a hit as well because of the processors closing plants because of the pandemic. Consumers are paying out the ying-yang for beef. It does seem like now after several years of producers trying to inform the consuming public that some are starting to understand the issues facing all farmers.

Now consumers more than ever want to know where their food comes from. They also are more interested in finding a local source that they can purchase from.

How long will this last is anybody's guess. Now that producers are getting their attention will this be something that ends when supplies at the stores get more back to normal and more reasonably priced. Time will certainly tell!

Latest posts