FORDMAC

Help Support CattleToday:

ga.prime

Reaction score
Has anybody ever changed bearings on one of these harrows? The nameplate says FORD McCleskey Mfg. Inc. Marietta, Georgia. It's a solid piece of equipment but one of the bearing housings was warming up slightly while doing some field work. I put 20 shots of grease in it and it didn't warm up any more. Not getting any usable info with google. Local parts people say it's obsolete. I don't want to take it apart without having replacement parts in hand except as a last resort.

Its been years but if i recall correctly it should be just a standard disk bearing and the cast clam shell is just a spacer holder. Personally i would use it till it got sloppy . then pull it off and hunt up a bearing. There was one brand of disk that used a sealed bearing and holder and you had to replace the whole unit .

M-5":3pjyw6dt said:
Its been years but if i recall correctly it should be just a standard disk bearing and the cast clam shell is just a spacer holder. Personally i would use it till it got sloppy . then pull it off and hunt up a bearing. There was one brand of disk that used a sealed bearing and holder and you had to replace the whole unit .
Heard that, I'm in agreement on not fixing what ain't broke. It finished the job fine, I rarely use that disc, might last twenty or thirty more years at the rate I use it.

You should have a ""Applied Industrial technology"" company near you...I get the majority of my bearings,seals, there..type em in and do a search with your zip code..they can match it up..if you wind up needing one..

I've got a Ford three point hitch disc with the same thing on it, if i remember right there is not a true bearing in there, it clamps around a spacer that's on the axle with grooves in it. keep it greased and it will run forever, there is a company on line that has those but for the life of me I can't remember it right now, if i do I will be sure to let you know.

I would at least take the bearing holder apart, wipe the grease off bearing and look for numbers to cross reference or take dimensions. Waiting for it to blow apart is never a fun plan, at least for me.

rollinhills":2pfdggzj said:
I've got a Ford three point hitch disc with the same thing on it, if i remember right there is not a true bearing in there, it clamps around a spacer that's on the axle with grooves in it. keep it greased and it will run forever, there is a company on line that has those but for the life of me I can't remember it right now, if i do I will be sure to let you know.
I think you're right, it's some sort of journal bearing.

True Grit Farms":3cybptxn said:

I can't tell if this is what it actually looks like or not from the picture. But these are easy and cheap to come by from Ag Supply.
I can't tell either. When I have time, I'll take one off and take it into Ag Supply and see if they have it. They do have a lot of stuff there.

ga.prime":odbwm9h4 said:
True Grit Farms":odbwm9h4 said:

I can't tell if this is what it actually looks like or not from the picture. But these are easy and cheap to come by from Ag Supply.
I can't tell either. When I have time, I'll take one off and take it into Ag Supply and see if they have it. They do have a lot of stuff there.
I had a old Ford curved harrow that had those type of bearings. Eastman equipment had them in stock 25 years ago. My little McClusky disc has the sealed bearings, but the back section will fold onto the front for cutting fire breaks.

I asked Harold at Eastman 15 years ago about the FORDMAC and he said parts weren't available for it.

Aaron":u16xn53z said:
I would at least take the bearing holder apart, wipe the grease off bearing and look for numbers to cross reference or take dimensions. Waiting for it to blow apart is never a fun plan, at least for me.
Oh come on Aaron! The suspense is exciting! :lol:

Latest posts