Fordite aka Motorcity Agate

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Anyone ever seen this stuff? My wife went to a gem show yesterday while I was at work and picked up some. It was pretty small (about a 1/2 dollar sized piece) for quite a bit of money (for me at least). It's from the 50-70's and is now available in limited quantities. Pretty cool stuff, but it's expensive...

https://fordite.com/

Cool beans.
I'm a really poor wannabe flintknapper... wonder if that stuff would be workable to make a point?
But... on my budget... I suspect I'd better stick to rummaging through old trash dumps looking for Milk of Magnesia and prune juice bottles...lol

Lucky_P said:
Cool beans.
I'm a really poor wannabe flintknapper... wonder if that stuff would be workable to make a point?
But... on my budget... I suspect I'd better stick to rummaging through old trash dumps looking for Milk of Magnesia and prune juice bottles...lol

I don't think it would make a good point, as it seems decently soft. It's expensive stuff, too, but it looks like you can sell it for a decent chunk of change if you're good. I've seen it in jewelry, but it's always surrounded by something. I think it would look spectacular as an inlay in a knife handle.

Lucky_P said:
Cool beans.
Phillips milk of magnesia, made in U.S.A. What do you do with those, Lucky_P?
DSC02555.jpg

Lucky_P said:
Cool beans.
Look for old TV screens. The thick glass makes great points

Lucky_P said:
Cool beans.
cowboy43 has an excess of flint:
https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=122190

Alibates Flint Quarries National Monument north of Amarillo, that's a pile of flint. Natives were gathering flint there to make tools and weapons 10.000 years ago. Iv'e been to a lot of National Parks and Monuments but that's the only one that was completely devoid of people. No park service personnel, nobody in any capacity. My family and I were the only ones there. There is a sign there that says to not load up any flint rocks in your car drive off with them.

I know where there is a field here that when it's plowed at night you can see sparks from the Flint. Otherwise it seems we have almost none.

There is a place in Texas where a man has taken several old Cadillacs and buried them with the tail end sticking out of the ground. People have stopped and spray painted names and graffiti on these cars. over the years it gets thick an sloughs of and there is a man somewhere here in Texas that makes jewelry out of it.

Even though KY Blue and Dover Brown cherts are common in this area, and were widely used by the earlier Natives for fashioning points, knives, scrapers, etc., blue, green, and brown glass bottles scavenged out of old dumpsites - like MoM, prune juice, etc. bottles - work pretty good and make pretty points.

kenny thomas said:
I know where there is a field here that when it's plowed at night you can see sparks from the Flint. Otherwise it seems we have almost none.

I have fields like that, but ordinary rocks will spark too.. I've seen some doozies when I scraped over big ones.. one just sat there glowing for a couple seconds, looked like a 1/2" in size too

Latest posts