Ford EcoBoost

Help Support CattleToday:

Goodlife

Reaction score
Anyone own a Ford F150 with the new EcoBoost engine? V6 with 365 HP and pretty good gas mileage. I know it is not the heavy duty truck many of you need, but I only haul a small stock trailer and use it to haul misc. stuff of course. I drive 40 miles to work, so gas milage is important to me. I do need 4x4 if that makes any difference.

You may want to hold off until they come out with the small diesel for the 1/2 ton. Rumor is there's a scorpio engine coming out soon, but I've heard the rumor for the last 2 years too

It is if someone plans on keeping the truck for any length of time. I know the gassers have come a long way, but I've worn out 2 trucks with gassers at about 190k, but my diesel is running like new at 220k. That and the mileage should conceivably be better in the diesel than the gasser. But balanced out against higher maint cost, that a case by case issue...

By the way the ecoboost is priced, Ford is pretty proud of it. Personally, I wouldn't buy until a minimum of 5 yrs down the road. Let's see how they last. Pumping up the horses on a V-6 means more stress on everything. I'd like to see how they last.

I have the same reservations regarding 6 cyl and new design. Thus the post. Was 2011 the first model year for this engine?

My wife has one in a 4x4 with 3.73 rear end. Gets 18 mpg running around here with her driving it. It drops to 16 when I drive it, but I play a lot more than she does. Plan to tow a 27ft Travel trailer with it if the camper ever gets out of the shop, but have not pulled anything with it yet.

We have two trucks with diesel engines. A 2000 Ford F250 with 350,000 miles on it and a 2001 Dodge 3/4 ton with over 200,00 miles.
The Ford had 80,000 on it when we bought it.

The gas trucks did not last near as long. They didn't make 200,000

Stupid question, but is diesel an option on the F150? I don't need the bigger trucks which I know offer diesel. Yet you are definately making me consider diesel as I want to keep this truck a long time.

And yes I know I should simply google it and will. But interested in your opinioins of the diesel if available for the F150.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that in 2012 there would be diesel for the 150

Goodlife":2ymzf6rd said:
Stupid question, but is diesel an option on the F150? I don't need the bigger trucks which I know offer diesel. Yet you are definately making me consider diesel as I want to keep this truck a long time.
It's been a rumor since 08. With the new Eco-boost I wouldn't hold my breath on the Diesel in the next two years.

If your not pulling over 10k pounds a gas motor is fine. Don't know much about ford gas engines, but a GM 1/2 ton truck with a 5.3 liter will run strong for 200k miles. And when your not towing it will get close to 20 miles per gal. Any new diesel truck will not get as good of mileage. Plus diesel fuel cost 15-20% more and oil changes cost 3+ times more than on a gas engine. If your not pulling your wasting a lot of money driving a diesel truck.

It boils down to what will you be using the truck for the most?

For us, the diesel was the wisest choice.

Sometimes I do wish that I had a little car for going into town. Something that is easier to park. It seems that in most places the parking lot spaces are sized for a small/medium car.

highgrit":1cm4l5qk said:
If your not pulling over 10k pounds a gas motor is fine. Don't know much about ford gas engines, but a GM 1/2 ton truck with a 5.3 liter will run strong for 200k miles. And when your not towing it will get close to 20 miles per gal. Any new diesel truck will not get as good of mileage. Plus diesel fuel cost 15-20% more and oil changes cost 3+ times more than on a gas engine. If your not pulling your wasting a lot of money driving a diesel truck.

I thought diesel engines got better gas milage than gas?

Another question, will all diesel engines run bio-diesel?

Goodlife, a 1/2 ton truck is up to 1500lbs lighter than a diesel 3/4 ton truck. And most of the time the heavier truck will have a lower gear ratio also. A diesel truck will never be cheaper to own than a gas burnner. The new diesel emissions are tuff on the engines, I don't know if you can use bio-diesel or not.

highgrit":16da56un said:
Goodlife, a 1/2 ton truck is up to 1500lbs lighter than a diesel 3/4 ton truck. And most of the time the heavier truck will have a lower gear ratio also. A diesel truck will never be cheaper to own than a gas burnner. The new diesel emissions are tuff on the engines, I don't know if you can use bio-diesel or not.
My F250 that we use for hauling gets the same mileage as my Ranger, but the Ranger is a lot cheaper in day to day useage. Fuel is cheaper, oil changes are cheaper, tires are a lot cheaper, plus I can park ity anywhere and still be able to get it out of the parking slot without adventure. Insurance is also a lot loess and they're the same age.

Latest posts