Forced retirement

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I feel like a lot of you are retirement and running a few cows. I was forced out of my job when I was 61.5 years old. I had saved and planned for that day and did not effect our living standard at all. Now how many of you that has a job and planning on that job for a living could get by if that job disappeared. This is just a post to you for a heads up it could happen and are you in a financial shape to tough it out until another job came along. What if that job paid less could you survive.

I could just quote 5.
I,m not worried a bit . I have no problem doing whatever it takes. I'll build fence during the day and pump septic tanks at night.

I've never claimed one dollar of welfare good stamps, disability or unemployment or workmans comp. And Mark it in red I never will.
My sweat is for sale. But my freedom is not

hurleyjd":be51vc26 said:
I feel like a lot of you are retirement and running a few cows. I was forced out of my job when I was 61.5 years old. I had saved and planned for that day and did not effect our living standard at all. Now how many of you that has a job and planning on that job for a living could get by if that job disappeared. This is just a post to you for a heads up it could happen and are you in a financial shape to tough it out until another job came along. What if that job paid less could you survive.

Lots of ways to be forced out as well when my group got with in five years the company stopped giving raises and gave us bonuses. Bonuses didn't count towards your retirement so they effectively froze the account.

M-5":1k5rlobl said:
If it happens I will do what I have to do to survive. But you can bet your life on the fact I wont be looking for a guberment handout .
Father Time can change that as well nothing can take the place of being the ant versus the grasshopper.

Cheap wheat, cattle, cotton and milo may force a lot of us into retirement

self employment you have to learn to adapt and overcome ... You never know what you will or will not make in a year so you have to be smart with your money and be able to do many different things. The thing I am telling my kids but there young now so they will always hear it...Get a trade that can't be outsourced that people have to have and you will be fine.

I've always counted on my retirement as my retirement (hope that made sense). I should retire at 49 (3 years away). If that goes belly up, I gotta keep pluggin. I always meant to supplement my retirement with cattle. That's not seeming as plausible now.

callmefence":3eks2ib5 said:
To many people screwed outta so called retirement. I'll just take my money as I
Make it ,and save and manage it myself.

You will get on the government tit at 65 cause you want your money back you paid on over the last 40 years.
There will come a day when it takes you all day to do what you used to do in a couple of hours.
The real wake up call is when realize you don't have any marketable skills anyone wants anymore

Caustic Burno":3tihpc8p said:
callmefence":3tihpc8p said:

You will get on the government tit at 65 cause you want your money back you paid on over the last 40 years.
There will come a day when it takes you all day to do what you used to do in a couple of hours.
The real wake up call is when realize you don't have any marketable skills anyone wants anymore

I'm taking mine at 62 if you still can in a couple of years. I have a piece of property I've been trying to sell for my retirement now for 10+ years. I ended up just saying screw it and retired a few years ago anyway. Retirement was tough for me, because I never lived with a budget. Being self employed I'd put money in as I made it, and took it out as I needed it. My wife would do a balance sheet in November and we'd adjust what we had to then.

Caustic Burno":1x9fp513 said:
callmefence":1x9fp513 said:

Maybe I'm more of a Ant than you give me credit for.

M-5":26l0soef said:
wont be none left when I get 65 so I prepare to do it on my own. I would not pay another dime Of SS if I could get away with it.

I would have never paid the first dime if I would of had options.
When I retired you needed a minimum of 1 million that is only 50k if you live twenty years. I bet that number is closer to 2 million today versus ten years ago.
I will give you a little advice about three years before you retire you really need to start researching what you can do with your retirement nest egg.
There is a pile of government regulations on 401's and retirement funds having to be in custodial accounts
Learn what you don't know

Iam still a long way from retirement. Iam investing in my works 401 at 15% because that is what they will match. I do not plan on depending on the government to keep me up when I retire. I also don't plan on farming to make my living off of when I retire i will farm till the day I die. I just bought my first rental house a few months ago and plan on buying another one this spring. I hope to get enough property's bought and payed for so when Iam 50 I can quit my day job and live off the income from the rentals.

pricefarm":abho5zsj said:
Iam still a long way from retirement. Iam investing in my works 401 at 15% because that is what they will match. I do not plan on depending on the government to keep me up when I retire. I also don't plan on farming to make my living off of when I retire i will farm till the day I die. I just bought my first rental house a few months ago and plan on buying another one this spring. I hope to get enough property's bought and payed for so when Iam 50 I can quit my day job and live off the income from the rentals.

Nothing like living off rental income. :clap:

True Grit Farms":8qmgxn1e said:
pricefarm":8qmgxn1e said:

Nothing like spending all your rental income on taxes, insurance and repairs..... :)

1982vett":21df1awv said:
True Grit Farms":21df1awv said:
pricefarm":21df1awv said:

Nothing like spending all your rental income on taxes, insurance and repairs..... :)

Do u know this from experience? I know several people who has done very good from rental property.

True Grit Farms":zoao2kd7 said:
pricefarm":zoao2kd7 said:

Do u have rental property?

Latest posts