Forage supplements

Help Support CattleToday:

Rdr95

Reaction score
I am going to get my winter hay and pasture grass analyzed for nutrients. I am guessing to get my herd up to a body condition score 5 or 6 from a 4 to 5 I am going to need to supplement over the fall (in my part of Texas we really don't have winter).

What has worked well with folks in the past?

And

Has anyone ever had their hay mixed with higher quality hay or ground up and made into a meal that was mixed with supplements to make the right feed? If so, who usually does that kind of work?

Rdr95":3o4qwtze said:
I am going to get my winter hay and pasture grass analyzed for nutrients. I am guessing to get my herd up to a body condition score 5 or 6 from a 4 to 5 I am going to need to supplement over the fall (in my part of Texas we really don't have winter).

What has worked well with folks in the past?

And

Has anyone ever had their hay mixed with higher quality hay or ground up and made into a meal that was mixed with supplements to make the right feed? If so, who usually does that kind of work?
Spend the $12 bucks and get your hay tested. You may not need any supplementation. Takes 5 minutes to pull a representative sample.

I am in this exact situation. Bought 50 round bales and then found out after sampling that it is only 8% protein.
Going to be another 2-3 months before the winter oats can be grazed.
The cows that do not have a calf on them seem to do ok on this hay and grazing the pastures. The ones with a calf on them have dropped a body score in the last 2-3 months.
I currently throw range cubes 2 to 3 times a week around 5 pounds per head per day we throw.
So for someone that puts out round bales twice a week and does not live on the farm what is a good way to increase the quality of the bales?

JSteim":2oy8odnw said:
I am in this exact situation. Bought 50 round bales and then found out after sampling that it is only 8% protein.
Going to be another 2-3 months before the winter oats can be grazed.
The cows that do not have a calf on them seem to do ok on this hay and grazing the pastures. The ones with a calf on them have dropped a body score in the last 2-3 months.
I currently throw range cubes 2 to 3 times a week around 5 pounds per head per day we throw.
So for someone that puts out round bales twice a week and does not live on the farm what is a good way to increase the quality of the bales?
You're stuck with what you got in those bales. I've heard of some trying to put liquid feed on them etc but always seemed like a waste of time and money to me. I'd simply keep putting the cubes to them or maybe even have a lick tub put out and feed the liquid feed. Then there are the protein tubs. Some are good, some are not but very expensive either way.

We put liquid out for our fall calving cows usually around the time we put bulls out, but it really depends on what kind of body condition they are in. Really, what helps us the most is matching our calving seasons to the grass, having short seasons, and weaning our spring calves early enough that the cows have a few months to catch up before the first freeze. We calve in the spring starting in late January for 75 days. In the fall it's late August for 75 days. The fall cows calve at about a BCS 6-7 and keep enough condition by the time the bull goes out that it is usually a circus for the first 2 heat cycles. The spring cows always calve thinner, but the grass is pretty lush when the bulls go out in April.

Latest posts