For the light weight calf buyers

Help Support CattleToday:

Hootowl said:
Buying same size and type will allow you to sell as a group which most places adds a few cents to ther price.

This might be more appropriate for a different board but to an earlier point about avoiding action barn fees, how do you go about marketing via private treaty? Being new to all this, I'm not sure how that conversation/negotiation would go or what price to settle on without leaving money on the table. I'm not comfortable or have enough of a load to forward contract and I'm also unsure what basis to add/subtract from the current market to settle on a fair price. Definitely looking to learn from the experts on this forum.

Until you get a few buyers interested it's hard to aviod some auction fees. Many places have sales of precondition calves where small producers can come together with calves of the same weight, color, and vaccine program. A few small producers together can sell load lots then and get a lot better price.

Every auction barn buyer has a receiving yard the calf is going to after he buys it.... you just have to do some homework to find the one. A good place to start is the ones to already buy your calves at the auction.

1982vett said:
Every auction barn buyer has a receiving yard the calf is going to after he buys it.... you just have to do some homework to find the one. A good place to start is the ones that buy your calves at the auction.

AndersonAg said:
Newbie here and I would love some input on what I'm doing and how I might be able to do it better. I'm also showing how dull my pencil is for the original poster. I'm pretty new to raising stockers and recently moved onto a 20 acre place (ranchette or hobby farm if you want to call it that) in central Texas that I divided into 6 paddocks using a hot wire. Cows didn't make any sense because there'd be a lot of expense feeding all year to only sell a small handful of calves a year. That said, I started buying smaller calves, averaging 225# which seems like the sweet spot, 10-15 at a time that are mainly angus or charolais cross. The first two weeks I have them, they're in a pen to make sure they stay healthy. They eat around 15 bags of either a 10 or 12% protein and go through around 4 square bales of hay along with some mineral containing bovatec while i'm getting them started. All said, purchase price plus input in the first 3 weeks I have around $400-$450 in each one. After the first 2 weeks, I turn them out into a coastal pasture (winter months I overseed with ryegrass) but still supplement feed them while they transition. I usually have 20-30 at a time and rotate them every 5-7 days allowing each paddock to rest nearly a month. Thus far, I have been selling them anywhere from 425# to 500# after 4 months so they've been averaging 2# or more of daily gain on mainly just grass (without overgrazing because we are grass farmers after all), netting me $150 - $225 per head on a buy/sell model (I base income on sell/buy because you have to replace your stock at some point). Following all this, I am buying and selling around 75 calves per year when there's normal rainfall and haven't had any die yet (fingers crossed).

Looks like you have a good plan.

I guess my question is this: on small acreage, do the small calves like this make sense because I can stock more of them or is there something I could do differently to net more in the end (and still not overgraze)?

You can sell direct to Capitol livestock in Schwertner, to stay out of the auction barn. They base what they pay you on the previous days average from barns all over the state. I think Thigpin does the same.

The good is it is quick and easy and they give you a fair price. No commissions or other add on's except a small insurance cost and beef check offs. You unload, they weigh you calves, they write you a check based on their chart. If you don't like the price, they will load you back up.

The bad is that you get the average which means if you think your calves are above average, you won't get a premium. You also won't get paid anything extra for having calves that are long weaned, have had shots and implants.

Latest posts