Foot Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
With all the rain we've been getting lately, I'm starting to see some foot rot. I brought the one to the vet, but now I'm thinking they might just get over it on their own. What do you think?

Dusty Britches":1ep0ax2v said:
With all the rain we've been getting lately, I'm starting to see some foot rot. I brought the one to the vet, but now I'm thinking they might just get over it on their own. What do you think?

I think you had better treat it. I've never seen an animal with footrot cure itself. But I had seen footrot neglected and causing permanent lameness. It isn;t all that hard to treat. One shot of Excenel at the maximum dosage will clear it up. The ony time we've had to repeat with a second shot was when we neglected it too long before treating the first time.

dun

Thanks, Dun. The vet cleaned out the foot and packed it, shot antibiotic directly into the foot. Then on the calf, he just shot it with antibiotic in the neck.

I have another cow with it, but it has been way to muddy to get the trailer to the pens.

So, you are saying I should treat with anitbiotics and save a trip to the vet?

Best thing is to clean out the foot (we use baling twine with knots in the middle & slide the knot back & forth between the toes). Than we put coppertox on it & a shot of LA200.
If you are having multiple problems, you can put iodine in their mineral for prevention. This should keep them from getting any more.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":13ef8jz4 said:
If you are having multiple problems, you can put iodine in their mineral for prevention. This should keep them from getting any more.

The mineral with ctc in it helps also.

cfpinz

Dusty Britches":25slkm9w said:
Thanks, Dun. The vet cleaned out the foot and packed it, shot antibiotic directly into the foot. Then on the calf, he just shot it with antibiotic in the neck.

I have another cow with it, but it has been way to muddy to get the trailer to the pens.

So, you are saying I should treat with anitbiotics and save a trip to the vet?

The shot is all that is usually required. I don;t even clean out the foot anymore since I haven;t found that cleaning it out helped any more then just a shot. But, you have to get it early, like within a day or 2 of noticing the problem.

dun

Thanks, Dun. I'll give it a "shot" and see what happens.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2j68gpt2 said:
Best thing is to clean out the foot (we use baling twine with knots in the middle & slide the knot back & forth between the toes).

Riiiiiiiiight. I think I'd rather take them to the vet and that's saying a lot.

I can pen them and give them a shot easy enough, but I'm not willing to risk messing with their feet like that.

cowboyup216":30v3a5of said:
I wouldnt let them just get over it on their own. Each time they have it if you dont treat it it makes things worse. I think it can lead to permanent lameness at some point. I would give 5 cc of banamine twice per day along with 10 cc of Naxcel twice per day to start out with. Then go from there. Usually clears it up quick. Contrary to a previous post where the poster said that ctc in the mineral helps. The strange thing is I still had some cows get foot rot even on CTC mineral. So that doesnt necessarily help because they are not getting enough of the ctc to kill the organism.

Most likely a management issue.

cfpinz

As Dun said Excenel is the best I have found to treat footrot. Occasionally ,I have treated twice with excenell with no improvement. In both cases the third time I checked the foot and found something lodged in between the toes. Once it was a honey locust thorn and the other time it was a ball of hay twine.

Just as a sidenote, I've noticed that it doesnt take a whole lot of stuff in between the toes to make a cow limp very badly.

You can often reduce the incidence of foot rot with more zinc in the diet, especially in complexed (chelated) form. Zinc will help make the hoof harder reduce the chances of a crack that allows bacteria to enter. A good mineral with zinc methionine is a good source.

rk":3fkidbbi said:
You can often reduce the incidence of foot rot with more zinc in the diet, especially in complexed (chelated) form. Zinc will help make the hoof harder reduce the chances of a crack that allows bacteria to enter. A good mineral with zinc methionine is a good source.

I agree, zinc deficiency is often overlooked as the cause. Another option is a shot of Multimin prior to the winter and again just before the mud season. I live in an arid environment where mud is much more wanted than hated and found that footrot is more of a problem after a frosty spell. Eversince Multimin becam standard practice, we hardly ever have footrot problems, but saying that we are in a low zinc area.

Dusty Britches":2z52whdl said:

Mix up a 10% clorox solution in a gallon pump up sprayer and spray there feet down as well as feeding areas. If you had them on supplemental iodine you wouldn't have this problem or the vet bill.

Zinc and Iodine deficiency? Ok. I thought my free choice mineral had those in it, but perhaps they are not in sufficient quanities.

Strange - during the record rainfall 2 years ago I did not have a single case of foot rot.

CB - I'll keep the clorox in mind, but I don't think I can spray all of my pastures. I do not have a "feeding area".

Dusty Britches":33gtb8ce said:
Zinc and Iodine deficiency? Ok. I thought my free choice mineral had those in it, but perhaps they are not in sufficient quanities.

Strange - during the record rainfall 2 years ago I did not have a single case of foot rot.

CB - I'll keep the clorox in mind, but I don't think I can spray all of my pastures. I do not have a "feeding area".

We have more problems with footrot during the dry droughty times then in the (few) wet muddy times

dun

Ok, I looked up the free choice mineral I have out. Here's what it says:

Zinc - 9900 ppm
Iodine - 100 ppm

So, how much would they need, y'all?

has anyone tried nuflor out for footrot? i read on the label where it provides treatment for it. never had tried it myself as it is soooo expensive compared to broad spectrum antibiotics.

for those who think footrot will heal itself - be aware of the fact that if left unattended it can go into the bone and can cause permanent damage. very hard to treat once it has progressed that far.

years ago we used to give sulfur boluses for footrot - worked real well.

ROB

Dusty Britches":15v1nq58 said:
Ok, I looked up the free choice mineral I have out. Here's what it says:

Zinc - 9900 ppm
Iodine - 100 ppm

So, how much would they need, y'all?

Not enough need a quart to the ton of feed your co-op should blend it for you. You also won't have ringworm.
Iodine is something you can't stop and start.
I haven't had a case in years and I live in a rainforest.
You can also buy powdered for your minerals.

Latest posts