Foot issues

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I noticed a cow today having issues with her right, back foot. She stands with it touching the ground, but when she walks, she hops and doesn't put much weight on it. It seems swollen all around just above the hoof, but the leg is not swollen above the ankle area, and she can kick with that leg. There is no sign of an abrasion, and flies aren't attacking as if there was a wound.

Any ideas of what it could be? Does it sound like she probably has something stuck up her foot?

I always think foot rot first. LA200. But when you have her caught, check it out for anything stuck in it.

Foot rot would be my first guess as well. You might watch her for a day or so in case it's just a tweak but if she's gentle enough, I generally stick a long, thin screwdriver between the hooves to see if there's something stuck and then take a sniff of the screwdriver when I pull it out - there's no mistaking the smell of foot rot. If it's a mild case and it's difficult to get her to the corral or barn I sometimes start by hand-feeding Sustain III boluses (1 bolus for 200 lbs, break it in half & alternate with cubes) & again, watch her a couple days for improvement. If further treatment is necessary I use LA300 or Draxxin.

We had the vet out yesterday and he said it was foot rot. Apparently, it wasn't the worst he had ever seen. He cleaned it, gave her a couple of shots, and gave us some medication to squirt on from time to time. He said she should be ok.

How long does it usually take foot rot to clear up after it is treated?

herofan":359jlm93 said:
We had the vet out yesterday and he said it was foot rot. Apparently, it wasn't the worst he had ever seen. He cleaned it, gave her a couple of shots, and gave us some medication to squirt on from time to time. He said she should be ok.

2 days to a week plus. Depends on severity and the drug given.

Aaron":33axb6ns said:
herofan":33axb6ns said:

I would expect to see a marked improvement in walking within 24 hours. But it can take longer to be 100% again

2 days to a week plus. Depends on severity and the drug given.

Do they always swell with foot rot? Had one here limping, could see nothing wrong. I always thought they got swollen with foot rot. Treated here with LA 300, will see what happens. She seems to have lost weight as she has been lagging behind the herd. Kept her up with her calf in a small lot so I can feed here some and see if she recovers.

tom4018"[b:3t9ogrls said:
]Do they always swell with foot rot?[/b] Had one here limping, could see nothing wrong. I always thought they got swollen with foot rot. Treated here with LA 300, will see what happens. She seems to have lost weight as she has been lagging behind the herd. Kept her up with her calf in a small lot so I can feed here some and see if she recovers.

No, not always, especially if you caught it early. And I've had a couple "foot rot" instances where they actually had a small rock wedged way up in the foot with no noticeable swelling but obviously painful.

TCRanch":3a80jd21 said:
tom4018"[b:3a80jd21 said:
]Do they always swell with foot rot?[/b] Had one here limping, could see nothing wrong. I always thought they got swollen with foot rot. Treated here with LA 300, will see what happens. She seems to have lost weight as she has been lagging behind the herd. Kept her up with her calf in a small lot so I can feed here some and see if she recovers.

No, not always, especially if you caught it early. And I've had a couple "foot rot" instances where they actually had a small rock wedged way up in the foot with no noticeable swelling but obviously painful.

With a rock would it really have been foot rot? Or is that a generic label everyone is putting on a cause were they seem lame or limp?

I think an abcess is more common in cattle, than people think. Antibiotics not really going to do a whole lot for those (maybe after there drained). Most of us don't have the skill set to drain them anyway.

tom4018":2zetcttc said:
TCRanch":2zetcttc said:
tom4018"[b:2zetcttc said:

With a rock would it really have been foot rot? Or is that a generic label everyone is putting on a cause were they seem lame or limp?

Yes and no, hence the quotes on "foot rot". One of the cows with a rock didn't have the horrendous foot rot smell, the other cow did - the rock had probably been wedged long enough to fester & segue into foot rot. I generally refer to it as a wonky foot until I figure out what's actually wrong. :)

There has been no improvement in the foot issue. We had the vet out again a week ago. He cleaned again and gave more shots and still believes it is foot rot, but no big ideas on why it hasn't cleared up. It's not getting worse, but no improvement.
I suppose selling her would be the best thing to do.

Anyone ever had a case of foot rot like this?

herofan":gw6oy61k said:
There has been no improvement in the foot issue. We had the vet out again a week ago. He cleaned again and gave more shots and still believes it is foot rot, but no big ideas on why it hasn't cleared up. It's not getting worse, but no improvement.
I suppose selling her would be the best thing to do.

Anyone ever had a case of foot rot like this?

If no response to drugs, I will almost guarantee you it is an abscess. Wish I was closer, I would trim up her foot real well. I just did a mature bull a month ago with an abscess in an outside toe, it was very close to the bone.

I think Aaron is right if she isn't responding to antibiotics their is a good chance it's an abscess. We have one we treated last week doing the same thing, I checked her today she has some swelling not getting any better. The boss is going to haul her to Dr. Hank he can put her on the table, I would bet dollars to donuts that she has an abscess.

Gizmom

Latest posts