Food Plot prep

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I decided to stick a couple plots in the powerline on my property today near a couple of my stands. I cut it and plan on spraying it tomorrow to kill all the grass then disc and plant half kale half clover. I cut lanes all in the powerline that lead to the plots in the hopes they will take the path of least resistance and find the food. plot is 20x30 feet or so

Give me a holler when the big boys start using it sky and I'll drive over and help you reduce the herd :mrgreen: :cowboy:

i hope to have some cam pics in the near future this is the first time I planted the powerline.. I want to plant this week after the grass is good and dead.. You will be the first person I call to help with that task :lol:

My edit is I should have done a soil test cause the broom stray is rampid in there but I plan on adding some lime and lil 10-10-10 to the soil and disc it in good.

skyhightree1":h7nogz2d said:
i hope to have some cam pics in the near future this is the first time I planted the powerline.. I want to plant this week after the grass is good and dead.. You will be the first person I call to help with that task :lol:

My edit is I should have done a soil test cause the broom stray is rampid in there but I plan on adding some lime and lil 10-10-10 to the soil and disc it in good.
I was thinking that you could do the planting and I could do the harvesting.......sounds like a fair split right :lol: :cowboy: I'll even share the bounty :lol2:

HOSS":h7gznpnz said:
skyhightree1":h7gznpnz said:

I was thinking that you could do the planting and I could do the harvesting.......sounds like a fair split right :lol: :cowboy: I'll even share the bounty :lol2:

What a great guy you are... How could I pass up an offer like that ? The biggest deer I killed in there I am having mounted and its drying right now I will upload it and you tell me if you want to still hunt there may be too small for you :lol:

I wouldn't pass on that one. Nice buck. Very "eastern U.S." looking. We have the same sub-species of whitetail here in TN. Definitely a shooter buck for the east or southeast.

HOSS":1r1thyme said:
I wouldn't pass on that one. Nice buck. Very "eastern U.S." looking. We have the same sub-species of whitetail here in TN. Definitely a shooter buck for the east or southeast.

Thanks... I hope to find his brother this year.

Broom straw is a sign of low pH here so I don't know if I wouldn't forget the clover. Spread 2 tons of lime on the spot and next year you will have a good plot that will produce its own sweet forage without needing any seed because the natives grow on their own when the pH is right.

I'm puzzled by your buck though. Many people seem to prefer to shoot bucks before the antlers protrude through the hair. I think they call them trophy spikes or trophy buttons. Them horns must taste real good or something.

Jogeephus":391q3ggh said:
Broom straw is a sign of low pH here so I don't know if I wouldn't forget the clover. Spread 2 tons of lime on the spot and next year you will have a good plot that will produce its own sweet forage without needing any seed because the natives grow on their own when the pH is right.

I'm puzzled by your buck though. Many people seem to prefer to shoot bucks before the antlers protrude through the hair. I think they call them trophy spikes or trophy buttons. Them horns must taste real good or something.
We call them "milk mouths"

Jogeephus":2pj5qvvc said:

That's what we used to call camp meat, but nowadays, the politically correct jargon is a "pre-emptive" strike.

dun":38ywgw33 said:
Jogeephus":38ywgw33 said:

We call them "milk mouths"
"suitcase models" here

We have an added season this year for land owners. Antlerless on private land before regular modern gun. Perfect for tender meat

Jogeephus":hbbrnpms said:

Yea, I thought about the soil ph too but today i went and dumped a bucket of lime on the area and will disc it in and just see what happens. Next year they are gonna spray the entire power line im sure they do it every other year. The horns are very very tasty lil tough and chewy but good :lol:

This is my food plot where most of my killing takes place its about 250 yds behind my house not huge or anything.

skyhightree1":2a7gruxe said:
Jogeephus":2a7gruxe said:
Looks nice. So how many seed bombs did you have to use to accomplish that? :lol2:

Thanks and it was only 770 bombs :lol:

Technically, that should be addressed in seed bombs per acre. That way everyone can calculate and adjust the rate to meet their own needs.

Dave":37nro3bq said:
skyhightree1":37nro3bq said:
Jogeephus":37nro3bq said:
Looks nice. So how many seed bombs did you have to use to accomplish that? :lol2:

Thanks and it was only 770 bombs :lol:

Technically, that should be addressed in seed bombs per acre. That way everyone can calculate and adjust the rate to meet their own needs.

770 bombs per acre is what I recommend :lol:

I would think a deer would be too scared to step in that field. I don't imagine you spilt a hundred bushels or so in the far corner did you?

Latest posts