Foam filled post holes

Help Support CattleToday:

I think everybody is right, it's going to be cost prohibitive. I'm going to have to just suck it up or hire it done. You would think if they're trying to compete with sackcrete, the cost would be more comparable.
Be happy to loan you a driver. I've got multiple skid steer and three point drivers . You'll have to come pick it up and bring it back.

Birddog> What type of livestock are you wanting to contain? There may be other considerations (construction wise) that can
be entertained. Looks like we're talking a bit over a quarter mile of fence. Are there any gates to road planned or is access from
the building site? County road, paved with heavy traffic or do you know who is going by from the sound of the tires?
Lay of land and drainage ? Will there be livestock pressure 24-7-365 ? This may not be as painful as you think once all the
parameters are known. Now if you are fencing goats I was never here ! LVR
Weaned calves. The mommas are across the county road. The county road is caliche gravel, fairly traveled. The soil is sandy so I'm not sure the foam would work anyways. Sq tubing and pipe is to match the existing fence.

Thank you, I am going to presume from your response that esthetics has precedent over economics which would negate
any reason to consider any alternate method of construction.. In as much as the existing fence meets your criteria there is
little need to consider another option. LVR

I have never like concrete around post, seen way to many post that had rotted off. Concrete will shrink back just enough to allow water in alongside the post. The Fast 2k looks like an impressive product, I wonder how it will hold up years down the road.
That is why we use gravel instead of concrete. My father taught Vo-Ag and that is exactly the way he always explained it to me as a boy (because it was my job to do the tamping with a heavy iron bar and I complained a lot that we should just use concrete and save me the work ;) ).

I would think sq tubing in sandy type soil would push in pretty easy with a good sized loader tractor or skid steer. Fill the bucket with dirt if you need a little extra help. If not that deal Fence offered is pretty good if you are within 100 mi. One thing I know I wouldn't be doing is digging holes and putting foam around them.

Thank you, I am going to presume from your response that esthetics has precedent over economics which would negate
any reason to consider any alternate method of construction.. In as much as the existing fence meets your criteria there is
little need to consider another option. LVR
Yes. Thanks Lee. I was originally asking if anyone had experience with the Fast 2k foam or similar product and what they thought of it. I appreciate all the suggestions though.

I have never like concrete around post, seen way to many post that had rotted off. Concrete will shrink back just enough to allow water in alongside the post. The Fast 2k looks like an impressive product, I wonder how it will hold up years down the road.

Same here, and I'm usually the poor ba#$%^& that has to dig the concrete up and replace the post (though a time or two when it was at a gate I just moved the post over and bought a different size gate).

Built a pole barn a few years ago, owner worked for the local utility company and wanted the post foamed in. I set and braced the 20' 6x6s and he foamed them. Sets up fast, but foam got under 1 post because of ground water, picked that post plum up out of the hole before we could do anything.
When the barn was done, even after extra bracing, it would rock with the wind. Hasn't blown over, even with 60+ mph winds, but never again will I use foam except around windows and doors

I bought an Extreme Post Driver a few years ago and it's the only piece of equipment I've purchased since I started farming that paid for itself in less than a year. Post are just as tight as digging holes and using concrete or tighter than digging and tamping in like we used to do. I'm glad I bought one when I did because they have gone up $3-$5k since we purchased ours. And renting one isn't a bad option either.

I bought an Extreme Post Driver a few years ago and it's the only piece of equipment I've purchased since I started farming that paid for itself in less than a year. Post are just as tight as digging holes and using concrete or tighter than digging and tamping in like we used to do. I'm glad I bought one when I did because they have gone up $3-$5k since we purchased ours. And renting one isn't a bad option either.

Wow, that is the way to pound a post.

Vibratory drivers like that are hands down the way to go however I like the Montana style without the stand better and they are way faster. Owned several of the stroke style drivers and they won't hold a candle to a vibratory driver in speed or ability to keep a post straight.

Vibratory drivers like that are hands down the way to go however I like the Montana style without the stand better and they are way faster. Owned several of the stroke style drivers and they won't hold a candle to a vibratory driver in speed or ability to keep a post straight.
I have one of the self propelled ones that's not too hard for one person to drive poles by themselves. The tracked machine is real nice but it would have been overkill for me.

All this fancy expensive equipment just to push poles down into the ground....I'm sorry it's senseless and a waste of money. Then there's the maintenance upkeep on extra excess machinery sitting around depreciating on your farm.
I can drill down with my hand auger 3 feet, probably could make 3 holes- 3 feet...before a tractor can get set up with auger attachment, filled up with gas and brought out on-site. There's dense treed places where I manually auger where a tractor cannot even get into.
I'm calling these movable pole-pounding skid-steers as fancy useless expensive crapola ranchers just don't need. This kind of equipment purchasing will put your farm under and in the red. Sorry, not to be negative...but I come from a world where you work with your hands, arms and legs.
So many times people think they can't do something without specialized equipment and it's not true. $15,000. broken pipe sewer quote....I did it by myself manually with a shovel in 8 hours and back-filled removing the stones with $14. worth of repair parts used in the hole.

All this fancy expensive equipment just to push poles down into the ground....I'm sorry it's senseless and a waste of money. Then there's the maintenance upkeep on extra excess machinery sitting around depreciating on your farm.
I can drill down with my hand auger 3 feet, probably could make 3 holes- 3 feet...before a tractor can get set up with auger attachment, filled up with gas and brought out on-site. There's dense treed places where I manually auger where a tractor cannot even get into.
I'm calling these movable pole-pounding skid-steers as fancy useless expensive crapola ranchers just don't need. This kind of equipment purchasing will put your farm under and in the red. Sorry, not to be negative...but I come from a world where you work with your hands, arms and legs.
So many times people think they can't do something without specialized equipment and it's not true. $15,000. broken pipe sewer quote....I did it by myself manually with a shovel in 8 hours and back-filled removing the stones with $14. worth of repair parts used in the hole.
Yeah, I thought that way when I was your age too. (even 5 years ago)
Bullet proof, invisible and able to jump tall buildings in a .....

Now, I don't need any of it very much but it sure would come in handy, even here in residential land.

That might be all fine and good where you're at. We have rocks so bad here it takes two or three tries to get a T post in the ground sometimes. Most augers are next to useless.

If you want to work yourself to death poking around with a rock bar and a post hole digger be my guest. I can pound a 6" steel post 3ft deep into bad rocks in about 5 minutes and be on to the next one. Time is money and I suspect that post pounder doesn't owe me a dime.

Last edited:

Latest posts