Foam filled post holes

Help Support CattleToday:

birdog

Reaction score
I've got about 1500' of perimeter fence to build along a county road. 4" Sq tubing posts 2 3/8" pipe for horizontal. I was wondering if anyone has used the Fast 2k foam filler or something similar for livestock fencing. I broke my back about a year ago and it's hard lugging 80 lb sacks of quikcrete for me. I can if I have to but would prefer something less stressful.

I was talking to an electrical engineer a couple of years ago (he specialized in Electrical Utilities and transmission lines). The utility industry uses foam as the industry standard on poles and the high voltage towers that carry the main lines. I would be cautious about using an "off brand" foam though.

It sure looks slick. But at $30/hole it would be hard to justify for fence. Unless I misunderstood. Seems like you could hire it done for less.

Y
I've got about 1500' of perimeter fence to build along a county road. 4" Sq tubing posts 2 3/8" pipe for horizontal. I was wondering if anyone has used the Fast 2k foam filler or something similar for livestock fencing. I broke my back about a year ago and it's hard lugging 80 lb sacks of quikcrete for me. I can if I have to but would prefer something less stressful.
$40.44 cost per hole if bought at Lowes. Can you get a ready mix truck in for the concrete. That might be cheaper. And just as good.

There are many, many different formulations for expandable foam. Some set very light, airy, and soft and some set much firmer.
It is hard to imagine foam ever being as dense as concrete but I could see it working. But cost of material and equipment, and the learning curve may be a big factor.

I think everybody is right, it's going to be cost prohibitive. I'm going to have to just suck it up or hire it done. You would think if they're trying to compete with sackcrete, the cost would be more comparable.

Birddog> What type of livestock are you wanting to contain? There may be other considerations (construction wise) that can
be entertained. Looks like we're talking a bit over a quarter mile of fence. Are there any gates to road planned or is access from
the building site? County road, paved with heavy traffic or do you know who is going by from the sound of the tires?
Lay of land and drainage ? Will there be livestock pressure 24-7-365 ? This may not be as painful as you think once all the
parameters are known. Now if you are fencing goats I was never here ! LVR

Do most of you drill holes for fence posts???
We do. But don't set them in concrete. We use gravel tamped in really tight for drainage.
Edit: But we don't use metal corners and braces. You don't see much pipe in our area. We have lots of cedar posts that have been in the ground for 30 years or more.

Last edited:
Do most of you drill holes for fence posts?
Every post here gets a hole. Generally, only the end/corner posts get concrete. I also always put a brick in the bottom of the hole for the posts to set on, followed by tamped gravel. Then, either top with concrete or more gravel. I will add that I do usually concrete in posts that are in a holler/valley/swag to help them not pull out

I use to dig holes and set wood post corners. After switching to steel pipe and pounding them in I would would never go back.

I keep the post hole digger around for the occasional use, but it mainly collects dust now.

Latest posts