Fly Tags

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Coffee shop may not be the place for this question, but looks like more readers here.

Opinion on any fly tags you have used and which gave you the best result.

I'm using Y-Tex's rotation program and have had good results so far with the XP 820 and Tri-zap tags. http://www.y-tex.com/img/pdfdata/insecticide_tag_rotation.pdf

Seeing that you are a Texan, this is what I think being the same. They just don't last long enough in our climate. As you have read and probably are experiencing, we already have flys. So what a rep told me and what seems to work best is to wait until mid summer to apply them and just use spray now plus an IGR mineral. Using them now means by June they are not working at all.

Consequently by June the flys start getting immune to the spray so tags with a different ingredient should work better. We also need a tag in each ear to get full benefit.

Late summer, go back to the spray. Its either that or replace them every couple of months which gets expensive and takes a lot of labor if you have more than a handful of cows.

My plan is to tag some 31 black 450 lb calves to graze three of four months. Also some poor cows that are open to a pasture that is to wet to bale about 25 head. I was hoping to tag and forget for a while.

Most fly tags only last four or five months then flies could start developing an immunity to that chemical unless you replace them.All fly tags need to be removed at the end of the season for best results but I doubt many do.
I have had good results with fly rubs at the salt feeder.Probably about the same investment as in good fly tags and can be used for years with a little care.I use P H White brand but there are others,too.Keep "charged" with either mineral oil or diesel mixing in your choice of fly killer. P H White even sends mixing ratios for some brands of spray with their products.
Since you don't want to do multiple handling,this might be a way to go.
All this is my personal opinion which is subject to debate.

I heard of an interesting use of fly tags the other day. They were used in switchboard cabinets very effectively to stop ants from building nests. A lot of pump control boards. I might give them a go in my battery shed where ants will get into the switches especially when rain is approaching, pity they are not there now.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I heard of an interesting use of fly tags the other day. They were used in switchboard cabinets very effectively to stop ants from building nests. A lot of pump control boards. I might give them a go in my battery shed where ants will get into the switches especially when rain is approaching, pity they are not there now.

Ken

This work as you have heard. Keeps away fire ants and wasps in our area. Use them on aerobic systems, panel boxes and pretty much anything close to the ground.

Do you all think that I can make these oil absorbing socks work for fly control.

https://www.zoro.com/oil-dri-absorb-sock-oil-based-liquids-10ft-l-pk4-l71519g/i/G9759976/#specifications

Latest posts