Fly Spray

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Just wondering what Fly Spray's you use? I like UltraSheild, find that it lasts for quite a while even if they are sweating. Flies aren't usually a huge problem around here, but this year they are really bad.

randiliana":20bix8uc said:
Just wondering what Fly Spray's you use? I like UltraSheild, find that it lasts for quite a while even if they are sweating. Flies aren't usually a huge problem around here, but this year they are really bad.

I don't think anything is working this year...Heat and flys are terrible...Usually use Poridon every week or so, especially for the mares and horses that aren't being used- and then spray them with Zonk before I use them.....

Nothing - nada - zip - zilch - zero.

If they cannot take the flies I ship them.

This stuff can start to add up the cost of keeping a cow. We are working to less than a dollar a day. Many never get there, but we are trying.

In our part of the world it costs more than that one buck to keep a cow - so this is another cut out. We will try the genetic route.

Horses the same - if the cows do not get it then we play no favourites. Until the horses produce an income they live on the cheap. Pastures are big enough they can go for a run - or jump into the bush for shade and fly relief.

Bez>

randiliana":1zzgad9e said:

With the kind of summer it has turned out to be, the horses are doing good to get fed - let alone sprayed. We tried Equi-Spot this year, and it is working pretty darned good! :D

Bez>":7lyp66jk said:
Nothing - nada - zip - zilch - zero.

If they cannot take the flies I ship them.

This stuff can start to add up the cost of keeping a cow. We are working to less than a dollar a day. Many never get there, but we are trying.

In our part of the world it costs more than that one buck to keep a cow - so this is another cut out. We will try the genetic route.

Horses the same - if the cows do not get it then we play no favourites. Until the horses produce an income they live on the cheap. Pastures are big enough they can go for a run - or jump into the bush for shade and fly relief.

Bez>

Yes, well, I don't normally spray the horses that are on pasture. However, this year they are locked up in a fairly small pen. But, when I am riding, I really would rather have a sprayed down horse, than one that is bouncing and jigging and even occaisionally bucking under me. I know it isn't cheap, but it is much easier to train, work or use them to handle cattle when they aren't fighting the flies at the same time. As for the cows, the bulls, bottle calves and nurse cows are the only ones that see any fly control.

As for the genetic route, sounds good in theory, but when it takes at least 2 years to see whether your horse has the potential that you are looking for and 5+ years to get a horse trained, it is kinda hard to sell off a good one and start over.....

Oldtimer, I have heard of Zonk, but never pridon. Does the Zonk last when the horses sweat?? That is the biggest problem I see. If it wears off at the first sign of sweat then it really isn't much good IMO.

msscamp, I may have to look into that Equi-spot. Sounds good, if I can find somewhere that carries it up here.

This is the best stuff around. Also a great skin and hair conditioner.

34-3930CV.jpg

CV Mosquito & Fly Spray for Horses

NEW!
Kills and repels a wide variety of flying insects including Stable Flies, Horn flies, Face Flies, Deer Flies, Gnats and Mosquitoes, which may carry West Nile Virus.

http://www.country-vet.com/products.php?cat_id=3#

Flysect Citronella Spray by Farnam. It's hard to find in stores around here for some reason and I usually have to order it from Jeffers. AWESOME stuff!

2cbd49f8s.jpg

I started using Zonk last summer - it works really well for gnats and mosquitoes - I don't usually spray anybody out on the pasture - but I do spray before I ride keeps the head shaking and twitching at bay. We have irrigated hay ground all around us so biting gnats and mosquitoes are a bigger problem than the flys. This Zonk stuff seems to work pretty well and will last a couple of days and it's a bit cheaper than some of the other stuff - $24 here for gallon - goes pretty far - smells like baby powder! I have to say I've misted myself with it when I'm riding and it does keep the gnats off!

randiliana":1zrfh58p said:
Oldtimer, I have heard of Zonk, but never pridon. Does the Zonk last when the horses sweat?? That is the biggest problem I see. If it wears off at the first sign of sweat then it really isn't much good IMO.

randiliana-- Grandkids told me the real name is Zonk It-- works as good as any I've used before- I think it has lanolin in it which gives their coat a good shine and seems to hold better in sweaty conditions...(makes horse smell a little sheepy ;-) :lol: )... I think its about the best I've found for mosquitos...

The Poridon is a pour on that you put down the horses back from mane to tail (or you can wipe it on)-- supposed to provide protection for two weeks- but I try to get at least the horses close to the home every week....Contains Permetherin (like most do now)...

None of them work totally- and especially since this year is such a terrible fly year-- but they seem to work as good as any.....

Oldtimer":3p32h0cj said:
randiliana":3p32h0cj said:

randiliana-- Grandkids told me the real name is Zonk It-- works as good as any I've used before- I think it has lanolin in it which gives their coat a good shine and seems to hold better in sweaty conditions...(makes horse smell a little sheepy ;-) :lol: )... I think its about the best I've found for mosquitos...

The Poridon is a pour on that you put down the horses back from mane to tail (or you can wipe it on)-- supposed to provide protection for two weeks- but I try to get at least the horses close to the home every week....Contains Permetherin (like most do now)...

None of them work totally- and especially since this year is such a terrible fly year-- but they seem to work as good as any.....

They both sound worth looking into. I just ordered the Absorbine Super Sheild concentrate. The price of that and the fact that it is supposed to last for a while is what really attracted my attention. We will see how it works.....

I used to make my own but I cant remember anymore how I did it. Im thinking it was water, nineger and citronella.
Anyway no rain up here this year. No flys either but the way its going we might run out of water. Hay 2 nd crop isnt going to happen unless we get some rain.

Have heard if you could get your horse to eat powdered garlic that it would keep flies and mosquitos away. A lady I know feeds it to her horses. I bought a giantic container of garlic to try, put it in their feed, but they wouldn't eat. The barn at the house smelled like a pizzeria there for awhile. :D

My horses usually stand in the pond up to their ears or cake themselves with mud, which seems to work for them. I spray with Absorbine when I ride. That's after spending a good 2 hours washing and scraping 2 inches of mud off my goofy horse. Then the mud is all transferred over on me. :shock: :lol:

Just part of it.....

I can't believe how bad the flys are this year! We use concentrated Repel X so we can mix it a little stronger. Normally pastured horses don't get sprayed, but if they are up and are really being bothered we'll give them a quick spritz. I like to spray before and after I ride so when I'm in the saddle the horse is focused on what I want to do, not trying to get relief from the flys. I understand where Bez is coming from, I won't have stall horses around, but I must agree with randiliana. It really takes years to see how horses will turn out and it seems like a shame to give up on a yearling or two year old because they flys bother them a little more than the others. I would rather spend the money spraying a GREAT horse than have to fight and prod a mediocre horse that can handle flys better. I need to be able to catch a horse and go to work and I will spend money like it's going out of style on fly spray for such a horse if I have to. For me the value of a horse is attached to it's intelligence, conformation, and willingness to work and not so much as how well it staves off flys. All of our horses are kept pastured all summer and are outside all winter unless it gets really bad, and bad I mean blizzard or ice storm. They learn to survive and when we need them they work like it was their idea to bring in the cows, check the fence, or wean off the calves. :cboy:

Latest posts