fly control mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

check the label. It should supply about 70 mg rabon ( or simular ) daily to be affective for flies.

It uses Altosid (methoprene) as the IGR......1.13 mg/cwt daily. Good stuff....it works.

Went to a mineral seminar last week, put on by ADM. Of course they were salesman, but seemed extremely knowledge-
able. Around se Ks, endophyte (sp), is a problem. They said it took 30 days for a feedlot to start any gains and for the endophyte to work its way out of the animal. They claim to have a patent pending solution called endo-fighter, but it is not cheap. Their minerals came in 4 types based on time of year, and with igr and ctc. Checked another place selling Nutrena minerals, they were similar but were a bit cheaper. This gets confusing quick. My pastures are a mix of fescue, red clover, white clover, with some orchard grass in places. The salesman said the other grasses probably reduced the problem by 44-50%, but if I am not noticing symptoms, is it worth the price of the endo-fighter? Hard to make money if you aren't spending it wisely. I do plan on using the igr and ctc for fly control and pinkeye, believe that is necessary. Would appreciate any thoughts or comments any of you have.

Last year we decided to try the wonderful endo-fighter stuff. Cows wouldn;t touch the stuff. Talked to the feed dealer and they said that ADM had reformulated the minerals because of consumption problems. Swapped them the old stuff for the new stuff, cows still wouldn;t touch it. Wen;t back to the old brand and consumption got back to normal.

dun

dun":2xprjmbv said:
Last year we decided to try the wonderful endo-fighter stuff. Cows wouldn;t touch the stuff. Talked to the feed dealer and they said that ADM had reformulated the minerals because of consumption problems. Swapped them the old stuff for the new stuff, cows still wouldn;t touch it. Wen;t back to the old brand and consumption got back to normal.

dun

Dun what is the old brand you are using? You have a lot of fescue don't you? Interested in knowing what minerals you use and have success with if you would not mind? Is there a good fescue buster that will also control flies?

aplusmnt":2o5yxznn said:
Dun what is the old brand you are using? You have a lot of fescue don't you? Interested in knowing what minerals you use and have success with if you would not mind? Is there a good fescue buster that will also control flies?

We used Stock Option from I think Nutrena with IGR and CTC, Last year they removed the iodine from it and we're kind of hunting and pecking right now to find somethingthat will work that still has iodine in it. Now we're using Purina stuff that hs rodent butts(mole-asses) in it cause it's hi-mag and the cows don;t seem to really eat the hi-mag stuff as well as the other.

dun

There are studies of effect of toxic fescue pasture on cattle performance. They found that steer daily gains are typically 1.5 to 2.0 lb per day on endophyte-free grass, compared to around 1 lb or less on highly infected grass. They also saw a marked reduction in conception rates in first calf heifers up to 50% and lactaion in dairy cattle is sharply reduced.

We saw none of this in our herds on just toxic tall fescue. However, we have subsequently diluted the toxicity by planting a 30-40% mix of white clover, which is a much cheaper alternative to planting Max Q tall fescue. If I were younger , I would plant the whole place in Max Q, but economist say it takes about 7-10 to get your investment back - I don't think I have that many years left as a viable walking talking cattleman.

As for minerals we switched to Ultralyx this past winder, the one with the chelated trace minerals (Albion product) and all the rusty tinge on the spine coat disappeared. We have never used cheap minerals before, but they obviously had some sort of a deficiency of copper, etc that has now been treated. WE also use IGR, and are now buying it in a pure form and adding to our chelated mineral until we use it up. Then hopefully it comes in a mix with the IGR. We used the Ultralyx mineral the preceeding year, but without the chelates.

Billy

Latest posts