fly bites

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old jersey cow that is covered in fly bites today .I had a rub up for them but took it down last week to work on the fence and forgot to put it back up. My rub is nothing more than astring with rags tied to it . I used permethrin mixed with motor oil as my insecticide.

The cows today were covered with flies but the jersey was the only one with noticeable bites all over her neck and sides . I actually got a rag and wiped her downwith this stuff and she has a insecticide ear tag . It really seems the bugs really go after her and not so much on the beef cows. Does anybody haveany tips on fly control that I can try to make her life a little easier?

trappersteve":3auvn05k said:
I have a 4 year old jersey cow that is covered in fly bites today .I had a rub up for them but took it down last week to work on the fence and forgot to put it back up. My rub is nothing more than astring with rags tied to it . I used permethrin mixed with motor oil as my insecticide.

The cows today were covered with flies but the jersey was the only one with noticeable bites all over her neck and sides . I actually got a rag and wiped her downwith this stuff and she has a insecticide ear tag . It really seems the bugs really go after her and not so much on the beef cows. Does anybody haveany tips on fly control that I can try to make her life a little easier?

I was using mineral with fly control kept them at bay for a while now they are terrible I felt bad I sprayed them with strong dose of permetheryn which helped. It seems here flies get used to one potion and come back heavy then when u switch they stay away for a while.

Thanks guys!

Sky I used the fly blocks from tsc last year and was not really impressed the rub seems the only thing that works decent. I am going to find the purina fly stuff as its the best money can buy . And most of the time you get What you pay for. Was also looking at the bayer fly tags .

Branguscowgirl, she does seem more sensitive to them than the beef heifers . Do milking stock have thinner skin than beef?

trappersteve":3mait95h said:
Thanks guys!

Sky I used the fly blocks from tsc last year and was not really impressed the rub seems the only thing that works decent. I am going to find the purina fly stuff as its the best money can buy . And most of the time you get What you pay for. Was also looking at the bayer fly tags .

Branguscowgirl, she does seem more sensitive to them than the beef heifers . Do milking stock have thinner skin than beef?

Let me know how the purina fly stuff works. I have those fly blocks out they IMO only work if there are a few flies around this year they are out in full force.

skyhightree1":30sf3g80 said:
trappersteve":30sf3g80 said:
Thanks guys!

Let me know how the purina fly stuff works. I have those fly blocks out they IMO only work if there are a few flies around this year they are out in full force.
Will do

Unfortunately I can not answer about dairy cows. I have never owned one. But it would not surprise me if their tolerance to the flys were different from beef cattle.

Next year put your minerals with IGR out earlier. When I started this year there was still some snow lingering. It helps mostly with the horn flies.
I charge the rubs every 7-10 days depending on the weather. Also spray as needed.

fitz

fitz":1zozn92r said:
Next year put your minerals with IGR out earlier. When I started this year there was still some snow lingering. It helps mostly with the horn flies.
I charge the rubs every 7-10 days depending on the weather. Also spray as needed.

fitz

thanks fitz i will try that

fitz":1lheq2dn said:

fitz
Fitz What do you spray with, I looked at tsc and only found stuff for horses

trappersteve":4yvz7ja4 said:
fitz":4yvz7ja4 said:

fitz
Fitz What do you spray with, I looked at tsc and only found stuff for horses

Two oz. of permethrin per gal. of diesel in a cheap plastic garden sprayer.

fitz

Latest posts