Flushing

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
How many of you have/do/will flush cows? We're looking at flushing one or two so I thought I'd ask if y'all had any advice or precautions.

Jake":154zqgih said:
How many of you have/do/will flush cows? We're looking at flushing one or two so I thought I'd ask if y'all had any advice or precautions.

We started flushing a few cows this year. Expect to spend a good bit of money on each flush . It will cost about 750-1000 $ per flush to recover 5-8 embryos and to put them in reciepts or to freeze them. There is always that time when you will get nothing . Donors dont always produce good embryos . We had 2 flushes this year out of 6 that were total failures. We flushed once and recovered 24 embryos, 2 were fertile and 22 un -fertile. It aint all good when you flush. Most important , use a good embryologist ,one that can give you references , and ask other breeders who they are using. good luck

I don't know how hot it gets there but we do much better if we don't flush in the summer. Perhaps if we had some ear in them we might do better in the summer.

polledbull":1dvjz2jk said:
Jake":1dvjz2jk said:

We started flushing a few cows this year. Expect to spend a good bit of money on each flush . It will cost about 750-1000 $ per flush to recover 5-8 embryos and to put them in reciepts or to freeze them. There is always that time when you will get nothing . Donors dont always produce good embryos . We had 2 flushes this year out of 6 that were total failures. We flushed once and recovered 24 embryos, 2 were fertile and 22 un -fertile. It aint all good when you flush. Most important , use a good embryologist ,one that can give you references , and ask other breeders who they are using. good luck

WOW you are sure paying a lot to get your embryo work done. The person we use charges us 250 to do the flush (all meds included) and 30 an egg to freeze and 50 to put them in. Maybe you should shop around.

Wow, $250?! Might be worth hauling our cows to you location! Up here runs about $1500. but there is only one guy in the area that does it.
Any young people looking for a lucrative career should think about being an embryologist....

txshowmom":1h35ghrx said:
WOW you are sure paying a lot to get your embryo work done. The person we use charges us 250 to do the flush (all meds included) and 30 an egg to freeze and 50 to put them in. Maybe you should shop around.

TSM, is that for 1 cow or a group of cows? The guys here will discount a little if there is more than one that is ready.

most flushes are around 250-300..but that is for the flush..cow care is what gets ya if you dont have time to watchthem and syncronize them yourself..we do quite a bit and everywhere is different..but basic prices are:
250-350 flush
50 to implant embryo
50 to freeze
2-4 for donor cow care per day
1-3 for recip cow care per day

if you drop them off..make sure your cows have all been wormed properly month or so before.. are in good shape, not too fat or too thin...stick to cooler months..cattle temps are close to killing semen when in heat anyhow, factor in summer heat and you are asking for trouble...lot of factors can add to cost and determine success rate..do your homework

I would hope that the higher prices listed $1500, would include buying a recip. That is about how much I have been quoted from guys in OK and TX.

greatgerts":1tvdejtn said:
I would hope that the higher prices listed $1500, would include buying a recip. That is about how much I have been quoted from guys in OK and TX.

i agree. that's about the price of a guaranteed preg recip (actually a little high for that, too).

flush prices are typically $250 or so for the flush & all drugs. room/board will add to the cost. $50 to implant embryo.

certherfbeef":3705two1 said:
txshowmom":3705two1 said:

TSM, is that for 1 cow or a group of cows? The guys here will discount a little if there is more than one that is ready.

1 cow

like I said , 250 $ for the flush
50$ to freeze x 8 embryos = 400$
2.00 per day for boarding x 30 = 60$
total = 710.00 $ assuming you get 8 embryos.

I was close , just to be using averages.

What ever you do do not over flush. About once a month is more than reasnabole

never heard of anyone that can do it once a month..syncronize cow..set up shots..detect heat..ai...wait 7 days and flush emrbyos...i have never been able to get them set up after a flush fro at least 2 cycles...but that is too much for me...i usually do 1 in fall..one in about jan..and then breed the cow back to calve...

i dont raise beef cattle..i raise bucking bulls..but trust me i value my good cows greatly..and i dont want to mess them up...i have one cow that avg. 16 grade ones a flush with one straw of semen...that is with a 5cc total dose on the set up...dont want to ruin the good ones...

we stay on a 5 week schedule for a couple or 3 flushes then let the cow go throught a natural pregnancy and have a calf. Seems to work ok. You still can get a flush that is a total failure somtimes following a good flush.

Latest posts