Flushing

Help Support CattleToday:

Statefan62

Reaction score
I guess I was wondering how long it takes from setup to the flush and how quick they can breed back? Trying to keep her in the same calving window. Any info would be helpful!

Statefan62 said:
I guess I was wondering how long it takes from setup to the flush and how quick they can breed back? Trying to keep her in the same calving window. Any info would be helpful!

Using the normal 7 day CIDR protocol. It is around 17 days .
7 Days for CIDR
AI 2-3 days after CIDR removal
7 days after AI, you Retrieve the Embryos.

There is also usually four days where you have to give FSH twice a day. During the last few days with the CIDR in and after you pull it out.

Donors are then Given a PG shot after flushing and some will cycle within the next few days. Can be a fertile heat

statefan

We have flushed and kept the cow in our calving window. We set the cow up flush lute after flush as prescribed by embryologist then put her in with a clean up bull. Our experience has been very positive with her breeding back first cycle and calving within our 60 day calving window. It takes planning out your flush and AI dates to work but it is doable.

Gizmom

The great ones yes doable. Most cows no it's a reach. Only way you will know is if you try. If she is good enuf to flush she can miss a natural calving in my opinion

gizmom said:
statefan

We have flushed and kept the cow in our calving window. We set the cow up flush lute after flush as prescribed by embryologist then put her in with a clean up bull. Our experience has been very positive with her breeding back first cycle and calving within our 60 day calving window. It takes planning out your flush and AI dates to work but it is doable.

Gizmom

See, we'd not put ours in with a cleanup bull. Not that they're not good enough, we just have specific breedings for them. IE our one donor we bred was to a sexed Treasure.

Our other donor is doing a flush/live transfer to Poss Maverick and then cleaned up with Colonel.

They both get turned in with bull right after AI so we'll parentage them.

We also give their shot as you do, for heat. But want a natural one before breeding. We're just in no hurry after we dumped a bunch of hormones in them.

If it works for you, that's great. We've just chose not to do it.

NE

I understand your thinking as well, but as I said if your wanting to flush but keep the cow calving with the herd it is doable. For the most part we will hold a cow and flush her several times, but we have also just turned her out to insure we freshen her, with the idea of flushing her ahead of AI work the next calving season. We have been able to make it happen we had one cow we flushed once three years in a row and she never missed calving with the herd she was a dandy.

Gizmom

Very doable, if you set her to flush along with regular A I, set up recipes, or whatever, then lute will be 10 days after, breed her on that heat if she takes great if not she will cycle in 21 days, so very much in a 45 day calving window right along with the others, should be no more than 10 days later than repeats, Like Gizmon does the bull will work great like that to.

Thanks. I've heard about the heat shortly after and I was thinking about putting a straw in them and then turning her in with the bull . I don't have any expierence flushing but it's important to me that the cows calves regularly. I'm just trying to steal one and get her bred back.

Latest posts