Flushing

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Headed to Bickett Genetics in Chickamauga, Ga to deliver our donor Sinclair Q Mother 6R109. Hopefully we will get some eggs out of her, we set her up to flush in January but didn't catch her in heat. Decided it might work better to just leave her with the doc to see if he has better luck. If it works we will have mateings of Coleman EXT 6149 and SAV Resource 1441. If not she will become very expensive hamburger.

Gizmom

Have you tried IVF with her , sometimes you can have better luck than conventional flush.

Walnut Crest

Not going the IVF route to expensive for this old girl, I like this cow but not in love with her we have three heifers out of her so won't lose the genetics if this doesn't work out. I would consider IVF if I was in love with her.

Gizmom

gizmom":unhqesue said:
Walnut Crest

Not going the IVF route to expensive for this old girl, I like this cow but not in love with her we have three heifers out of her so won't lose the genetics if this doesn't work out. I would consider IVF if I was in love with her.

Gizmom

:nod:

gizmom":2qzgrwgy said:
Walnut Crest

Gizmom

So, if you are not in love with this cow, why put the expense in to flush her?

Our son Jacob really likes the cow and he is a partner in the operation. I will be honest I have flushed cows that he isn't in love with so turn about is fair play. Like on this site not everyone is going to like the same thing, the Q Mother cow is massive and I mean built like a flipping tank in my opinion she loses some femininity due to all the mass which makes me appreciate her but not love her. We have two of her flush daughters in the bred heifer pen. I like the two heifers a lot more than I like her, so I can see why Jacob wants to flush her again.

edited to add it won't be all that long till the boss and I call it a day and hand the reins over then my opinion won't matter anyway.

gizmom

Gizmom,

Your opinion will always matter, you raised him right.. even if you turn it over to him. He is smart enough to see what you guys have built there..

My child is a teenager so this is me... :bang:

Good luck with the flush..

Thanks jscunn we tried! I understand the :bang: :bang: with teenagers but we survived and I know y'all will and your raising him right so it will be worth it. Hope to see you Saturday looking forward to the show I love the idea of having it along with the Blue Jacket Jamboree it is going to make it even better! The twins are so excited to be able to go to the cow show!

Gizmom

gizmom":2n49onyc said:
Our son Jacob really likes the cow and he is a partner in the operation. I will be honest I have flushed cows that he isn't in love with so turn about is fair play. Like on this site not everyone is going to like the same thing, the Q Mother cow is massive and I mean built like a flipping tank in my opinion she loses some femininity due to all the mass which makes me appreciate her but not love her. We have two of her flush daughters in the bred heifer pen. I like the two heifers a lot more than I like her, so I can see why Jacob wants to flush her again.

edited to add it won't be all that long till the boss and I call it a day and hand the reins over then my opinion won't matter anyway.

gizmom

That is absolutely a good reason. I have had those discussions with my dad as well.

Southernultrablacks
That is a great question, are you asking what I actually do or what I think is ideal? My ideal would be to flush a cow that we have raised, that I know her history, a cow that has been in the herd for a long time and has never screwed up not even once. A cow that has her first calf by the time she is two years old does a good job with that first calf and bred back on time. Her second calf is better than her first and she gets bred back on time and the third calf is better than her second. You can breed her to any bull and it still works you get some of her daughters working in the herd and they are even better than her, she does all the above and at 9 or 10 years old still has great feet and a beautiful udder that is the kind of cow that I feel is ideal to flush. I have actually done that with two cows and am thankful that I still have those genetics in the tank for the future. We have also gone the other route of purchasing cows to flush like the 6R109 because of her genetics another cow we purchased to flush was A47 because of the genetic package she was an old cow when we purchased her at the Kinsington dispersal she was in their donor program I think she was 10 or 12 when we bought her so a proven cow. To be honest she was just a so so purchase some nice calves but nothing that has made me fall in love. Another cow we purchased because of the genetic package was at another dispersal the SAV Blackcap May 0524 cow we could have never afforded to buy this cow otherwise and the first ET calves we have on the ground out of her have tickled me with that purchase they are really good so for now I am super pleased with this purchase. We bred her this year to freshen her up but I plan to send her to have her flushed next year. I will for sure flush her back to the 6149 bull those calves are really nice, I have already flushed her to Resource so may flush her to Renown and Right Time as well.

greatgerts

We are blessed that our son wants to continue, I have always said he has a better eye for cattle than I do. He will see things on them that I miss, but he hasn't surpassed me yet when it comes to the genetics at least the ones in our pasture. Now he has twin daughters I sure hope they love the cattle business as much as their daddy!

gizmom

Gizmom, thanks for the info! i have a balancer cow that I bought from Post Rock that I have considered having flushed. She is 6 now and has had 4 calves so far. She is a Mytty in focus granddaughter and has some good EPD's. i guess we will see how this calf grows off this summer.

Latest posts