Flotation Implement tire vs trailer tires

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
I recently bought a gooseneck stoll hay mover trailer , holds six bales with lever to release each bale . I Have to replace tires , original owner said he had flotation type implement tires on the trailer . What would be the advantage to using tires like that vs a standard trailer tire ?

Doubt flotation tires are designed for hiway speeds so tire failure could be possible if flotation tires pulled at higher speeds. Best check and see what the rated speed is for tires you're considering.

The flotation tires would also handle a lot smoother if the field is rough so you won't bounce out your bales

I do not see the advantage other than cost and you pay for what you get on that. It may be different in other areas but we don't run implement tires on any thing. Even our disks and stuff have take offs from our trucks. A good 10ply MT or AT tire will hold up far better than any implement tire. Most of us are running slightly over sized MTs any way so you get a wider footprint and softer ride with them also. Plus the larger sizes are rated for more weight.

I have 30+ year old implement tires on a lot equipment. I have no truck tires that last more than 10-15 years. Truck tires blow out just sitting there from dry rot or something.

We have two of those, both run narrow trailer tires.

I'm sure if you farm a lot of soft fields the flotation would be nice, otherwise I don't see the need.

True Grit Farms":1cibe8xp said:
I have 30+ year old implement tires on a lot equipment. I have no truck tires that last more than 10-15 years. Truck tires blow out just sitting there from dry rot or something.

I must not be living right then. If I get with in 10' of a mesquite or huisatche they will be flat the next day. I've seen them blow out going down a gravel road from a rock. :???:

I have both on 15 flat wagons. On these the flotation tires bounce a lot more when running on highway empty

On every single machine that runs in a field you need to run as wide and tall tyres as possible, at the lowest inflation pressure possible, to reduce the compaction that said tyre causes on the ground.

Taller tyres also reduce the rolling resistance, so they are easier to pull.

Latest posts