Float Help

Help Support CattleToday:

ETF

Reaction score
I've been using the cheap plastic float valves from Tractor Supply on stock tanks for several years and they worked fine. All of a sudden our yearling has decided her tank is a bathtub and a mare in another pasture is bobbing for algae or something. Net result is I went through 4 floats in 5 weeks before going back to manually filling the tanks. Now the missus says that's not acceptable because summer's coming. Any thoughts on how to keep the horses from destroying the floats? She wants some of those Ritchie waterers, but I don't see that happening at the price they want. Thanks.

Get a metal float and install it. If this is a regular metal stock tank, you can also set a couple of posts with a 2 X 6 (or bigger) screwed into them so the horse can drink, but not get into the tank. Ritchie waterers are NOT horse-proof - one bored/destructive horse can mess them up big time in a couple of days time. You might also consider exercising the horse more so he/she has less energy to play in the water tank. Push comes to shove, shut the horse away from water and let him/her in to drink under supervision 2 or 3 times a day.

Thanks for the information MSS. I moved the filly to a larger pasture this weekend and it took her less than an hour to pry up the float. It was in the upper 80s here this weekend - think she wanted a shower. :roll: I reinstalled the float and haven't had a problem for the last couple of days. Hopefully the extra room will let her burn off some energy.

Good to know about the Ritchie waterers. Have you had any experience with the Bar Bar A waterers? Thanks.

ETF":2osbx0rr said:
Thanks for the information MSS. I moved the filly to a larger pasture this weekend and it took her less than an hour to pry up the float. It was in the upper 80s here this weekend - think she wanted a shower. :roll: I reinstalled the float and haven't had a problem for the last couple of days. Hopefully the extra room will let her burn off some energy.

Good to know about the Ritchie waterers. Have you had any experience with the Bar Bar A waterers? Thanks.

No problem. I have no experience with Bar Bar A waterers, sorry.

Latest posts