fixin' a slate roof

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Anyone have any brilliant ideas for fixing a slate roof around a chimney when it is cold? I'm not too slick on the slate when it is cold...broke one today. The roof is leaking one slate below the flashing around the chimney. I repaired what I thought was the problem but the driving and heavy amounts of rain the past few days proved me wrong. I have problems walking on the slate when it is cold out and not breaking them. The chimney is not reachable from a ladder.
Thought I had it fixed this summer. But a leaky roof doesn't leak in a drought. :oops:

certherfbeef":3dqji0hl said:
Anyone have any brilliant ideas for fixing a slate roof around a chimney when it is cold? I'm not too slick on the slate when it is cold...broke one today. The roof is leaking one slate below the flashing around the chimney. I repaired what I thought was the problem but the driving and heavy amounts of rain the past few days proved me wrong. I have problems walking on the slate when it is cold out and not breaking them. The chimney is not reachable from a ladder.
Thought I had it fixed this summer. But a leaky roof doesn't leak in a drought. :oops:

Get some cold patch like they use on house trailers kind of a liquid aluminum and patch the leak with a mop until next August and yall thaw.

Caustic Burno":31hn0rqo said:
Get some cold patch like they use on house trailers kind of a liquid aluminum and patch the leak with a mop until next August and yall thaw.

Thanks Caustic. Never thought of that. Rain is supposed to let up a little tomorrow afternoon...I'll give it a try.

BTW we'll be good and warm in march :lol:

is it accessible iwth a front end loader? thats what i do. i dont recommend it though b/c the stick man pictures clearly warn against it. of course you'll need one person in the bucket and a more competent person operating the lift. my fireplaces were built in 1898 and both of them leak, one is more of a problem than the other and i cant for the life of me find where the water is getting in.

Latest posts