First twins

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":11kydn4d said:
Sell the orphan to Sky--he LOVES bottle calves so much he'll probably drive to Ky. and pick it up.
Last one I had that had a dead calf, I milked her before I turned her out of the pen and froze it--kept it about 6-8 months and never had a use for it and finally threw it out.

Lol If he were a few hours away you bet ya I would come and get it

Update:

Calf is 4 days old this morning. The burnt brown twin is on a heifer in Missouri. I was headed to Missouri to bring back a heifer I bought in February from Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch. Kris' Pastor was looking for an orphan calf to put on his heifer that lost her calf. Kris ask if I would bring the calf with me when I picked up the heifer. I got to the ranch Monday afternoon. Kris was at the Pastor's ranch to put the calf on the heifer. Kris knows how to put an orphan calf on a cow. Within 20 minutes the calf was vigorously nursing. Calf seems remarkably strong and new owner reports that the calf is nursing under their watch every few hours.

Kris believes the calf had to have gotten some of the Dam's colostrum. Born early Saturday morning. From time of birth until I got the calf to Kris, I tubed the calf 5 times with sixteen ounce packets of colostrum supplement. At this point, the calf looks like he has a good chance.

Lucky_P":1t2cnfgq said:
Ron,
You probably need to - and I'd recommend most folks do so,too - get some colostrum REPLACER and have it on hand for situations where you just can't get the cow in to milk her...or whatever.
The colostrum SUPPLEMENTS are 'not much punkin'...better than nothing, but typically you're not able to get enough immunoglobulins into circulation with them to give full protection.
Best colostrum REPLACERS will have 150 gm(or more) immunoglobulins per bag. most of the supplements run in the 50-60 gm range. Unfortunately, most farms stores, tsc, etc. only carry supplements'; you'd have mail order a good replacer, and likely won't find a good one for less than about $35/bag - but they're usually good for 18 months or so after manufacture date. I keep mine in the freezer - probably extends 'shelf life' substantially.

Good overview here: http://extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/ ... das-11-180

Thanks Lucky. Kris is getting me some real frozen colostrum to take home with me.

Lucky: Is it likely that colostrum from a dairy in Missouri could introduce pathogens into my herd?

inyati13":2uohcaau said:
Update:

Calf is 4 days old this morning. The burnt brown twin is on a heifer in Missouri. I was headed to Missouri to bring back a heifer I bought in February from Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch. Kris' Pastor was looking for an orphan calf to put on his heifer that lost her calf. Kris ask if I would bring the calf with me when I picked up the heifer. I got to the ranch Monday afternoon. Kris was at the Pastor's ranch to put the calf on the heifer. Kris knows how to put an orphan calf on a cow. Within 20 minutes the calf was vigorously nursing. Calf seems remarkably strong and new owner reports that the calf is nursing under their watch every few hours.

Kris believes the calf had to have gotten some of the Dam's colostrum. Born early Saturday morning. From time of birth until I got the calf to Kris, I tubed the calf 5 times with sixteen ounce packets of colostrum supplement. At this point, the calf looks like he has a good chance.

good plan

Did you sell him the calf or got some sort of share deal worked out? Sorry if you answered this already.

inyati13":35ncpntr said:
Update:

Thanks for update! Glad everythings working out. Would love to hear details of how Kris puts an orphan on a cow, as this is no easy task.

reeler":11z71tw1 said:
inyati13":11z71tw1 said:
Update:

Thanks for update! Glad everythings working out. Would love to hear details of how Kris puts an orphan on a cow, as this is no easy task.

Ever hear of "O No More"? Good product! But really, having a halter broke animal to work with helps a bunch. I just had our pastor put a halter on the heifer, and I tailed her when she tried to kick the calf off. To get her milk to come in, I had the pastor and his wife, every two hours, go out and hold that heifer and tail her every time she tried to kick the calf off. Today, I was happy they reported the calf is nursing on his own withouth their help! Happy days... I am just glad I got rid of a problem Inyeti had, and helped out my pastor in the process! And the timing was perfect, since the twin was born Saturday and our Pastor's heifer lost her first calf Sunday morning... And Ron was heading out here Monday! Win win for all of them...

Yeah, sounds like a triple win. Firesweep sold a heifer and got her picked up, pastor got a calf for his heifer, and Ron got rid of his headache and is bringing back what I'm sure is a nice female. A job done right! Toughen up Ron after we got our first set more sets seemed to follow. Ron keep an update for me on that skunk tail calf as it gets older, it sure is cute.

inyati13":vhgh6q27 said:
Lucky_P":vhgh6q27 said:
Ron,
You probably need to - and I'd recommend most folks do so,too - get some colostrum REPLACER and have it on hand for situations where you just can't get the cow in to milk her...or whatever.
The colostrum SUPPLEMENTS are 'not much punkin'...better than nothing, but typically you're not able to get enough immunoglobulins into circulation with them to give full protection.
Best colostrum REPLACERS will have 150 gm(or more) immunoglobulins per bag. most of the supplements run in the 50-60 gm range. Unfortunately, most farms stores, tsc, etc. only carry supplements'; you'd have mail order a good replacer, and likely won't find a good one for less than about $35/bag - but they're usually good for 18 months or so after manufacture date. I keep mine in the freezer - probably extends 'shelf life' substantially.

Thanks Lucky. Kris is getting me some real frozen colostrum to take home with me.

Lucky: Is it likely that colostrum from a dairy in Missouri could introduce pathogens into my herd?

You can transfer Johne's and salmonella via colostrum. It is not recommended to provide colostrum from another farm to your own. Ideally, mothers colostrum, then from another cow in your herd, then colostrum replacer if necessary. I always try to save some and keep in freezer if i have a cow with plenty. Read somewhere it keeps for a year in freezer. Saved us on more than one occasion :2cents:

bball":3iwmpl0p said:
inyati13":3iwmpl0p said:
Lucky_P":3iwmpl0p said:
Ron,

You can transfer Johne's and salmonella via colostrum. It is not recommended to provide colostrum from another farm to your own. Ideally, mothers colostrum, then from another cow in your herd, then colostrum replacer if necessary. I always try to save some and keep in freezer if i have a cow with plenty. Read somewhere it keeps for a year in freezer. Saved us on more than one occasion :2cents:

I can assure you this dairy is clean. They raise their own replacements, and do not bring in new stuff. They milk about 350 head of holstein cows, and we have used their colostrum ever since we started. I always keep a 2 litter bottle in my deep freezer of the liquid gold, just in case.

I try to give every calf from a first timer a shot of colostrum from an older cow, if it's just a pint.

I have some in the freezer from several years ago, and if I needed it I wouldn't hesitate to use it... I have one cow that usually produces about a gallon of it per quarter, but she's miserable to work.. If I'm ambitious when she calves I might get some and replace some of the older stuff.

Firesweep, I found the pint cartons for cream work really nice for colostrum.. they thaw out quick and are a good 1-shot dose.. they also stack nicely in the freezer.

Now I have more and more cows I can milk whenever I need to, so storing and getting colostrum isn't as big a hassle as it used to be

glacierridge":updtduro said:
wbvs58":updtduro said:
Paint a white stripe on him Ron.
Ken

She likes the one that looks like her... Do it next time if it happens again.
I like the skunk too
33a5c0k.jpg

2whebzr.jpg

Latest posts