First twins of the year

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
Moved cows to a new paddock on Sunday, found a new calf & then found her mother, all was good. Calf was small, but healthy & active. Mom was a 2 year old and in good flesh and plenty of milk. Monday & Tuesday evenings were busy so I didn't go out in the field. Tonight I moved them to a new pasture and found a 2nd heifer calf, also small. I went out a bit later to check on a calving heifer and discovered the two heifer calves standing by the same momma and she was talking to both of them! No other possibility for a mother. I was just shocked at her BCS for carrying twins, she's a solid 5. She was 9 days short of being 2. Her last grain feeding was when she was turned with the bull. She grew well on grass & legumes.

And the heifer I went to check on had just pushed out a bull calf 30 minutes after I noticed signs of labor. 30 minutes after the calf was born he was on his feet. Not bad for a heifer.

We're actually wrapping it up. And it turns out they weren't twins, another heifer doc had called for June calved. Doesn't look early, but he's missed a few by two weeks. Oh well, that just means 1 fewer heifer to calve!

Latest posts