first time pregnant heifer being mounted by young steers

Help Support CattleToday:

porchpickles

Reaction score
hi.......ive got a 6 month pregnant first time heifer...in with two young steers who i will find trying to mount her about the time her cycling would have occurred.......neighbor also has cows, but none in the field nearest mine, that are in heat.......what s going on?.......is it just boys being boys?....or could she have a cycle during her pregnancy?........i know she is preg.......but im corn fused>>>> :? :? :?

Most likely nasty little boys being themselves. There is also a chance that there is a slight hormone change going on with the heifer that they sense.

mounting is also a show of dominance, if you mix new groups or when they are trying to change status. i wouldn't be concerned unless she is standing like she is in heat.

porchpickles":tliseaxw said:
hi.......ive got a 6 month pregnant first time heifer...in with two young steers who i will find trying to mount her about the time her cycling would have occurred.......neighbor also has cows, but none in the field nearest mine, that are in heat.......what s going on?.......is it just boys being boys?....or could she have a cycle during her pregnancy?........i know she is preg.......but im corn fused>>>> :? :? :?

Hate to be a downer but how do you know she is pregnant. Was she tested. We get these surprises all the time. If she is standing for them at all you might want to get her preg ckd. Even if she was tested at some point she could have sluffed the foetus.

I've got bulls mounting bulls and steers mounting bulls and bulls mounting steers . . . pretty sure none of them are open . . .

That said, the question is . . . is she standing. If she's standing she might be in heat. Also . . . are all the steers following ONE heifer? If they stop tomorrow, you might have your answer.

Latest posts