First time doing embryo question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully

Reaction score
So today we put in two embryos. First one slipped in perfectly and my technician was really happy, second one went well but when he pulled gun out there was blood on the end. He was quite surprised to see it and told me unlikely she will take. They are both heifers. Wondering what everyones experience and thoughts are. I know it is bad to see blood on gun during A.I. because blood is a spermacide. But he said blood wont kill embryo but because of the inflamation the embryo wont attach.

Redgully said:
polledbull said:
usually you would not use virgin heifers as recips for ET work

Really, my vet said they are the best to use. Interesting. 9 days to go to see where I'm at.

From the calving ease aspect, and not knowing how well they will mother and milk are reasons why I won't put eggs in heifers.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
Redgully said:
polledbull said:
usually you would not use virgin heifers as recips for ET work

Really, my vet said they are the best to use. Interesting. 9 days to go to see where I'm at.

From the calving ease aspect, and not knowing how well they will mother and milk are reasons why I won't put eggs in heifers.

That makes perfect sense in those aspects. But these are red poll heifers so milk and mothering are not an issue. Calving ease should be fine but i agree this would be my only concern. Although speckle park embryos should not make big calves.

Not sure Red Poll automatically makes them milk or mother, maybe! You may have never seen a heifer jump up from calving, not know what just happened and just move on, bottle or dead calf.
4 year old is the youngest I'll make a recip, 2 calves, then I have some idea about mothering and milking, much prefer 5 to 8 yr olds. To much money involved for me to chance a heifer. Just me

bse said:
Not sure Red Poll automatically makes them milk or mother, maybe! You may have never seen a heifer jump up from calving, not know what just happened and just move on, bottle or dead calf.
4 year old is the youngest I'll make a recip, 2 calves, then I have some idea about mothering and milking, much prefer 5 to 8 yr olds. To much money involved for me to chance a heifer. Just me

I agree with what you're saying. Too much effort and money goes into embryos to take any risks. I had a Guernsey heifer and a simmental cross heifer go awol after calving and a few others be poor mothers. But never a red poll, we have had red polls and crosses here for 46 years and never had one mothering issue. And always plenty of milk, some would say too much at times.

I also use heifers - or cows. Embryologists like heifers because you don't have "left-over calving infections".
All my heifers have years of history in my herd. I would never be afraid to use one.
About 40 years ago, we had a halfblood heifer that did not want her calf. Never has happened again. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself. I know it happens, but I think mothering ability is heritable.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I also use heifers - or cows. Embryologists like heifers because you don't have "left-over calving infections".
All my heifers have years of history in my herd. I would never be afraid to use one.
About 40 years ago, we had a halfblood heifer that did not want her calf. Never has happened again. Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself. I know it happens, but I think mothering ability is heritable.
one in 40 years sounds like pretty good odds, at least with your cattle.

If both took, that is awesome - beating the odds. Do these cows normally have a 21 day cycle? Fingers crossed!

They do normally go 20-21 days but because i had to synchronise them I'm hoping they still stick to that. I was a little confused on synchronisation. I gave them a shot of lutylise late saturday and another first thing sunday morning. I was hoping to bring them in tuesday or wednesday. One was naturally due (21 days) wednesday and the other friday and they both came in thursday. I can preg test 35 days but hoping to push it out to 55 and get a sex too.

I would do the blood test preg test at 30 days as it will cost less than $5 each so you dont miss another month if they are open.

I've use heifers about 90% of the time. I have access to them (crossbred beef x dairy) and don't have to sort off calves and I have yet to have a mothering issue with Angus or Simmental crosses on dairy cows. Limmi's well that's a different story!

Calving ease is something to watch tho in the mating of the egg.

Latest posts