First Time Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG":383tq0ct said:
On a heifer's first calf is it prudent to try to contain the heifer to a small corral or barn area?

if its where i can, i do... just in case she needs assistance...

jt

same here. I wanna be sure calf is nursing and mama knows how to act for a week or so, then I throw them both back out in the main pastures and let the calf play with the other calves.

It sure helps to have them in a smaller pasture...when we have one due (even an older cow), I check them at night too, and I don't want to wander around a big field with a flashlight...I know pretty much where they'll be in the 2-acre area...a pasture is also "cleaner" than a barn.

That's pretty much how I do it when possible. I try to get the first timers "up" into the maternity area where it is easier to observe them and close enough that if they need help, I'm there.

Katherine

nice to have one where you can catch her easy, but unless i am expecting trouble i usually leave with the herd. then i can practice my not so good roping skills

i like to keep all of my cows in a smaller pasture to calve, then i move them as they calve. heifers i leave up in a small pen for a few days to let them bond, away from the herd. i feed the heifers a little different

Put her up..if possible. CLEAN STRAW IN THE AREA..if you plan to have her in the barn. You don't want the naval thing. We put iodine on the naval a few hours after mom does her thing. Also, easy access if she needs help.

Also, it seems.....oh I guess...... maternal instincts are enhanced by putting a mature cow with young calf in with her for a few days.... it is nice if it is the mother of the birthing heifer.

We try to do this starting a couple of days before expected delivery. Seems there is comfort and some type of assistance in the new situation the heifer finds herself in. Not sure I understand it. I guess it is because she is alone and having a baby...all new...not comfortable...wants company. The new baby will have a play mate right away..which occurs in the field.

They really don't like being corraled... so if for some reason the new mother must be kept up longer than a few days we will exchange the companion with a new one to give them a break. We always turn the new mother out into the field with the companon cow. It seems to work. We have tracked new calves after they are turned out .....it is interesting......it seems... his buddy(s) are the ones who spent time with him in the corral....I think they kinda ..bonded...maybe.

We generally know our cows and pick a companion that does not dominate the expecting mother...that is important... she has issues about this time and doesn't need to be pushed around. :roll:

Our barns and corrals are buisy places during calving ..both in spring and fall...and at other times...when sync. program doesn't work! :eek:

GaryDG":27va0maf said:
On a heifer's first calf is it prudent to try to contain the heifer to a small corral or barn area?

We never do. Have very few problems .. but we always breed to an angus or Red poll bull.

Wewild":ywfsjo79 said:
GaryDG":ywfsjo79 said:

We never do. Have very few problems .. but we always breed to an angus or Red poll bull.

We let em' run with the rest of the herd. Just keep an extra watchful eye on Heifers.Bred to Beefmasters, Angus, and Now Finally a Hereford Bull . Hadn't had very many problems.

Run 'em with the herd. If they can't do the job, I do not want them.

Trouble makers are roped - thrown or run into the chute - pulled and sold after weaning. Calves often go as well.

Bez

Just goes to show that there are all differant kind's on this board. On heifers I put them in a 2 acre lot behind the house till they have their calves. I agree that the ones that have problems should be culled. I also cull faster than grain through a goose. I don't like problems. Problems cost me time and money.

Bama":3oo61cf1 said:
Just goes to show that there are all differant kind's on this board. On heifers I put them in a 2 acre lot behind the house till they have their calves. I agree that the ones that have problems should be culled. I also cull faster than grain through a goose. I don't like problems. Problems cost me time and money.

I couldn't put our's on two acres without costing me more time and money. How many heifers you have calve each year.

I calve yearround. I typically don't have over 4 in there at a time. After calving they go to another pasture that is about 20 acres. I can run about 20 there yearround. I use it for a "younguns" pen. I also put young heifers I don't want bred in there. If it gets to full i'll start kicking the oldest of the "younguns" out with the rest of the herd. The grass in the smallest lot is better than most of the pastures. I can run a pair per acre in the pastures. I could run as many as 6 on this 2 acres for a short time. It is beside the feedpens and makes it eaiser to give them any extra's they may need. I can gate the pens where they are the only ones with access.

I read one time that if your trap is small enough that it will get muddy easier and that leads to infection. If it is dry I wouldn't think that you would have any problems with that though.

anytime i have heifers, i have them in an area where i can help them if needed. if i have a group of heifers i have them in a small pasture next to the corral. if i have only 1-6 heifers i have them in the 2 acres by the corral so it is easy to get them up. the last few years the heifer prices have been so good that i havent kept one. the heifers i have freshened out were bought at cattle auctions that were just too cheap to pass up---less than feedlot price, and i took a chance----have had to pull my share that way too----i didnt say it was smart--just said it is what i have done----lol

If you calve in the barn I have found it can be a problem with infection. I try to calve in that small lot. It is knee deep in burmuda grass in the summer. I calve yearround but shoot more for the summer months. Mid summer it can be a problem with the flies. You have to get a jump on them before they get bad. As far as the mud it ain't been much of a problem in that area. I built my barn on top of a hill. With the feed lots near. The water runs off of them fairly well. I do have mud in the dead of winter where I feed but not as bad as it would be in the lowland.

bama,
you are sure right about infection.... thus the need for clean fresh stall with straw...we apply iodine..and some other treatments soon after birth.

The nice thing is that if the heifer has problems it's all under control. I have been out in the rain...cold trying to get a partial delivery into the corral ..it's not fun...been there did that ...and will avoid a repeat at all reasonable costs. Plus the yotes/dogs...whatever... are kept at bay also.

I have a 5 acre block that is rolling and dries out fast. Has tall grass so mama can think shes hid when she calves. I think they do better when they think they are hidden, I can stand on the top of the knob an see the whole pasture. I putem in there a couple of weeks before they are due or when I see them bag up. I think the more they are left to themselves the better. Like already said, a walk round 5 acres aint bad but that hike round 100 thru the woods and creeks is tough.

Lngvew,

Youre right....several hundred acres with woods is a different story. Thats why when we bring 'em into the corral for delivery...they always end up in the barn for birthing...they want a secure place for baby. Just have the stall clean.

Latest posts