First state fair

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Daughter did her first state fair last week. An experience to say the least. Learned some things for the future. Not the greatest pics.
MVC-016F-5.jpg

MVC-015F-1.jpg

Congratz... nice calf. Now she can work her way up from the bottom instead of starting on top and having no where to go but down

I hope you and your daughter enjoyed your first show! The facilities there look good, and so does your heifer.

Here are a few friendly tips which I am sure you already know:

1. Your heifer looks like she needs a bit more condition next time around.

2. The heifer will look better if your daughter holds her head up slightly higher, and squares off her hind feet a little more.

Welcome to the show world! Once you are in . . . you never get out. Its an addiction :lol:

Enjoy it, and have fun!

Keren":3rz3pxgv said:
I hope you and your daughter enjoyed your first show! The facilities there look good, and so does your heifer.

Here are a few friendly tips which I am sure you already know:

1. Your heifer looks like she needs a bit more condition next time around.

2. The heifer will look better if your daughter holds her head up slightly higher, and squares off her hind feet a little more.

Welcome to the show world! Once you are in . . . you never get out. Its an addiction :lol:

Enjoy it, and have fun!
She has been working on her to get the head up better.

The previous show before thispeople thought she had too much condtion so we backed off the feed, she weighed 724 @ 310 days.

Been working on the set up, before she was setting up with the back legs too square. We learn a little more with each show.

I thought she looked a little thin also. If people told you she had too much condition at the last show then she may not be carrying enough muscling to be real competitive.
That said, it looks like your daughter is working hard and learning a lot. Congrats to her for going to the state fair with the heifer. I went down on Saturday for the open show and there weren't any bad Herefords there. We were supposed to take some for the open show but decided at the last minute we weren't going to drive 3.5 hours in 100 degree heat.
Also have to add, KY puts on a top notch state fair, quality animals all around, quality non-animal projects, and nice people.

tom4018 The previous show before thispeople thought she had too much condtion so we backed off the feed said:
Assuming the heifer was 65lbs. at birth, her 310 weight per day of age is only 2.13. At this age, the figure should be about 4 pounds. It's almost impossible to get a heifer too fat in their first 15-18 months unless they are just too small framed to be in the ring in the first place.

She looks to have adequate frame for a show heifer. If she were mine, I would push her hard on a lower protein, high fat ration to have her closing in on 1000 lbs. at one year.