First Group

Help Support CattleToday:

Briar Ridge Angus

Reaction score
Just got done with my first group of cows since going through an AI class put on by UT and Select Sires. I felt pretty confident leaving there but doing my own cows was a little different. The cows we did there stood nice and still while my cows wiggled and moved and whipped their tails. I felt fairly confident when I left there but my confidence has taken quite the hit after doing mine. Does it ever get easier and so you ever feel extremely confident? I only bred 5 cows and of the 5 only one went extremely quick. I hope you all have some good words because I am ready to throw in the towel.

Keep at it, go back and read your book over and over, look at as many youtube videos as you can find, it is surprising the little snippets of information that you pick up, look at their facilities as well. You have to have things well organised for preparing the gun so you are not flustered and anxious when you do it. Doing it in small groups is the way to go, sleep on it and tackle the next lot. You will reach a point when everything will gel and you will be OK but it might take a couple of seasons. Just keep at it.

Ken

I agree with Ken.

Very true about the practice cows. They seem to be numbed. Just to protect my eyes. I wear safety glasses. Getting a manure covered switch to the eyes is no fun.

Most of my cows are easy to work with. I just finished five heifers. They would not stand still. Be as gentle as you can but on some, it takes some movement of the cervix, and that may cause some reaction.

It takes practice. You must get through the cervix. Don't be fooled by the fornix.

It will get easier, you have to stay with it.
when I went, the first day in cows I did great, second day was horrible because I wanted to be cutting hay so my mind wasn't in it. my first season was bad, second a little better, third it was like a light switch went on.
Guy I went to school with came out tried 2 cows never has done it again..
several different feels you will learn just by doing it, that your not gonna see in a book or on a video. I try and not clean them out at all im not there for that but, if I go in and its a smooth feel, I milk the cervix back pull my hand out they will crap and then I go back in and grab the cervix. if there low on protein there crap is more compacted, makes it harder to do.

Latest posts