First Calves???

Help Support CattleToday:

brahma_show_girl

Reaction score
My 2 show heifers are the first calves out of first time heifers. We have gone to a couple of shows with them there is a BIG size difference in them and other heifers there age. I have asked around and other breeders say that it is probably because they are First Calves. My question is do they cary a small gene that they will pass on to there calves, just because they are first calves? Or will there calves mature to a normal size regardless to there mothers first calf syndrome?

I hope I didn't make this to confusing. Reply and tell me if I did.

Thanks in advance

brahma_show_girl":ht01shsn said:
My question is do they cary a small gene that they will pass on to there calves, just because they are first calves? Or will there calves mature to a normal size regardless to there mothers first calf syndrome?

I hope I didn't make this to confusing. Reply and tell me if I did.

Thanks in advance

There is no small gene that your heifers may pass on to their calves. Rather your show heifers might be smaller than other heifers the same age simply due to the fact they are the offspring of first calf heifers. Often times, a cow's first calf is smaller than what their second calf will be, as well as that of a mature cow. This is simply because a first calf heifer has not reached her peak milk production age.

As far as your show heifer's calves, they will more than likely mature to a more normal size, however their first calves are likely to be a bit smaller than calves of similar age as well, much like their mothers.

Your show heifers might catch up to others of similar age, or they may always be behind the curve a little bit.

brahma_show_girl":isosjmrv said:
My question is do they cary a small gene that they will pass on to there calves, just because they are first calves? Or will there calves mature to a normal size regardless to there mothers first calf syndrome?

Thanks in advance

No, there is no "small gene". If memory serves, cattle reach maturity somewhere between 2 and 3 years of age. As I'm sure you're aware, any animal that is still growing has to have adequate nutrition to support their growth and development. Couple that with the fact that first time heifers are usually bred to calve at roughly 24 months of age - which means they are bred around 15 months of age - and you are now looking at providing nutrition that will support 2 animals - the heifer and her calf. It takes a considerably higher plane of nutrition for her to be able to finish her development, and still be able to support the developing calf that she is carrying. If the nutrition is not there, the heifer sacrifices her growth and development for the sake of her calf, but the first calf will be smaller, not grow as well, and the heifer will probably not achieve her full potential. A 2nd factor is that a lot of first time heifers don't milk as well as they will with their 2nd (and subsequent calves). Part of this is due to being a first calf heifer, but a larger part is again due to nutrition to support milk production. By the time a heifer has her 2nd calf, she is done growing, her mammary system has fully developed, there are not as many nutritional demands, and her 2nd (and subsequent calves) will be more in line with the rest of the herd. Does that make sense?

Brahma Girl,

Maybe its not that your heifers are so small but that your competition has been manipulating birth dates on theirs to make them look better. I am told that is a common practice with certain breeds and circles.

Just a thought.

Farmgirl

no theres no small gene in 1st calf heifers or their calves.the reason that they are smaller is because the heifer dont give as much milk as a mature cow.they will grow more as they mature.

Thanks everyone. You were all a great help.

Farm Girl,
Your right, sometimes people do manipulate there birth dates. Ecspecially in the Brahman Industry but my are still small considering what they should weigh and what actually do.

Thanks again

Farmgirl":4vti0hum said:
Brahma Girl,

Maybe its not that your heifers are so small but that your competition has been manipulating birth dates on theirs to make them look better. I am told that is a common practice with certain breeds and circles.

Just a thought.

Farmgirl

Exactly what I was going to suggest might be the problem.

It could be a combination of things. With mom not being mature yeat, the reg. paper manipulations, etc. But I would tell you to look at your EPDs and evaluate your growth genetics. Weaning and yearling weights both have a good percentage of heritability in them so I would start there.

If you want to see the long term picture, look at the cows 3rd calf. Thats typically what we judge really hard, providing youre using the same bull. Heifers first calves are always smaller than the 2nd or 3rd.

Latest posts