First Calf Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Buddy

Reaction score
Took a heifer to the vet to pull her first calf at 10:30 this morning. Feet were showing when I got up at seven. I could tell she was having difficulty. I immediately called my vet and he told me to bring her in. The bull calf came out ok. He gave the calf collestrum from his mother and supplemental milk. As per his instructions, I put them in a 10x10 pen so they could bond. This evening the calf is up wanting to nurse but the heifer kicks and stays away. QUESTION: Should I give him a quart of milk replacer to sustain him till morning and give them time or should I just let him try on his own over night? Question#2: Can I give him a bottle tonight and expect her to still take him with additional time? I would appreciate comments ASAP.

You may have to do it a few times, but I've always got them to take the calf willingly after the 3rd "forced" nursing.

Get that heifer to stand any way you can. It has taken us 3 days of 3x a day of tying one and letting the calf nurse. Then another 4 days of standing with them and smacking her in the head with a stick if she still tryed to kick. It's a lot of work but if you let her get away with it now she won't take it later. Usually.

I go on public record:

I am NOT repeat NOT making fun of CattleAnnie. In fact I use the same method at times.

I just happen to like the way she put it and as there is no trademark against it, I have stolen it from her!

There ya' go CA.

Bez

Geez Bez, no need for an apology... I just thought it was funny as all get out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear that you see the humour of "bonding" as well.

Take care.

I must be particularly obtuse this morning, and don;t get the joke. The bonding issue between a calf and it's dam is vital in my opinion.

dun

Dun,
A while back Annie wrote about her method of grafting a calf. It included the owner "bonding" with the cow. This bonding utilized a baseball bat, two by four, or other handy large piece of wood.
Dave

Dave":2ipo16jg said:
Dun,
A while back Annie wrote about her method of grafting a calf. It included the owner "bonding" with the cow. This bonding utilized a baseball bat, two by four, or other handy large piece of wood.
Dave

Just typical Cattle Annie style.

No nonsence and straight to the point :cboy: :cboy:

We like it CA, keep the good advise flowing!! ;-)

certherfbeef":zhst74gq said:
Dave":zhst74gq said:
Dun,
Dave

Just typical Cattle Annie style.

No nonsence and straight to the point :cboy: :cboy:

We like it CA, keep the good advise flowing!! ;-)

talking about shortening the learning curve.. :lol: reminds me of a little ole lady we bought some hogs from one time...

she had dogs penned up beside their houses in a few spots around her pasture there and one of them was giving us fits when we were there... he was raising cane :!: she finally got enough of trying to talk over him and turned towards the dog and promptly told him to hush up...

immediately he did, and to our amazement he didnt make another noise... i laughed and commented on it and she looked at me and said... if i put on you what i put on him, you would mind too... this was a very old little ole woman that was boss of her place... her son just snickering in the background, as she was certainly comical.. :lol:

jt

Dave":27tbg6ry said:
Dun,
Dave

That clears up a lot. I can't retain much of what I read anymore. Sorry about that.

dun

Latest posts