First calf heifer allowing other calf to nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Discovered a first calf heifer allowing another calf (not hers) to nurse. I hate to have to separate them. The thief is getting plenty of milk from her mama. What if anything would you do?

Separate the hfr and her calf. It's about all you can do. Either that or close your eyes and let that little thief keep stealing.

I would separate the heifer and her calf, that is letting other calves nurse if possible. I would keep them separate until her calf has a little size and age otherwise if the other calf keeps nursing it could take away from her calf to the point that it doesn't do well. On that note, you mentioned the other calf's cow had plenty of milk. Sometimes that does happen where they get enough but will sneak more, but there could also be an unknown issue in regards to the other cows udder/milk too.

It takes work - but if you leave them together, you are risking the growth of the one heifer calf. Just because a cow "looks" like she has plenty of milk, does not mean she does. I find if a calf is trying to steal - there is a reason. Maybe mom is kicking it off. Lots of possibilities, but you are/could be sacrificing one calf for convenience if you ignore. But, that depends on the value you place on them. They "should" be able to take care of themselves.

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think a first calf heifer is more likely to allow the stealing than an older cow would?

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think a first calf heifer is more likely to allow the stealing than an older cow would?
No, some good mammas just let any calf nurse. Sometimes cows raising twins are more likely to let a third calf rob. I think they just loose track of how many are nursing.

Many of our cows "co-momma". I don't get alarmed by it unless I see one calf looking like it is constantly nursing, or it looks smaller or thinner. It will drag a first calf heifer down more; as she is being stimulated to make more milk and she will not hold her weight or breed back as fast. I would actually separate the one with the calf that is stealing, away from the first calf heifer and her calf, and see if the f.c. heifer lets anyone else nurse her. Don't know how many cows you have. I would also get the one in that you say has plenty of milk and really check her udder out. She might have problems that you aren't seeing.
I have 4 f.c. heifers now with calves and have seen more than one calf on a couple of them so I just let well enough alone. The calves all look good and the fc heifers are in good flesh. But I also calve out my fc heifers separately from the cows so they all get the same "chance" and don't have to compete or fight off other cows and their calves at all.

Latest posts