First 4 cows

Help Support CattleToday:

the gyrs ive been around were pretty docile compared too american brahman,, but i guess all that worshiping they recieved over in india gave em those big heads :lol:

CR,

Wow, congratulations on your girls. I think you're very lucky and smart to be starting out with a small number of such good quality animals. Brahman cattle don't really seem like cattle to me, maybe they seem too smart to be cattle, but they are really very beautiful and you will surely have a blast and do well with them. :clap:

alacattleman":3m67j4b0 said:
the gyrs ive been around were pretty docile compared too american brahman,, but i guess all that worshiping they recieved over in india gave em those big heads :lol:

That's what I've seen also.
I wonder which of the bos indicus contributed the attitude to Brahman when they were invented.

alacattleman":d79xvs8m said:
don't know for sure but from my experiance, i would say some of it came from the indu brazil
If I was just raising cows for strictly my own pleasure I would have a pasture full of Gyr.

i like the american red's..... with either a herf or simm bull on em, but thats my druthers. im forced too look at blacks :cowboy:

The american brahma decends mostly from the guzerat breed, which in turn largely comes from the kankrej breed.
There are traces in it of gyr, krishna valley and nellore; however the heavier guzerat look was preferred by the early breeders.
Just my two cents worth; a lot were of course, like always, lost in translation or stolen by the money changer! :banana:

I'm sure any temperament problems did come from the Indu Brazil influence. If any breeders have lived in very poor country,Brahmans would be very much appreciated. A comment above in one of the posts about Angus being the main stay of the industry. They were not always that way in our country. They became faddish when agents and entrepreneurs got into the breed. Before that they were a breed that was there,renowned for their ability to burrow under fences and to be a good doing animal in good country. Their rise I feel came when Hereford breeders started using them over their pure herds. I think the Angus breed societies employed good marketers. I still think the best Angus herds are those bred up with another good British breed base.

These 4 don't have a wild streak in them. I don't keep anything that is wild and wants to jump fences. Of all the different breeds of cattle that my grandfather has run over the years, the only problems with wildness came from Limousin.

Latest posts