Fire Scare

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
Yesterday we were down in the hayfield shredding and cutting brush from around the trees and all of a sudden we smelled smoke, more specifically grass burning and there was thick smoke everywhere. There was a very strong wind and it was coming from the side of our place that the wind was coming from too. We dropped everything and ran back up to the house and hubby jumped in the truck and went to find out where it was coming from as me and my BIL went to hook up the disk. It was about 1/2 mile away heading strait for us. The fire dept was already there fighting it, he said all he could see was a wall of flames. They said to get ready because with that strong of a wind they couldn't stop it. It burned several pastures probably about 100 or so acres but the wind died down all of a sudden and they did get it under control. It was within a few hundred yards of 2 houses. Some people up the road started it burning trash :mad: I sure hope they get a big fine.

Glad all is well. It was very windy here in south central Texas all day yesterday. I know your counting your blessings! It's nothing short of a miracle that wind died down long enough to get the fire out.

What are people thinking?!!? The burn ban is emphasized on the news daily and weekly in the local papers and people still try to burn trash in barrels in their back yards.

I'd love to burn my trash pit, it's about filled to the top but I'd rather have to deal with that than take the chance of burning my place down not too mention my neighbors places too!

Glad things worked out for you with the wind Sidney. I was out trying to spray Remedy/diesel most of yesterday and it seems like the wind was a constant 30 to 35 mph. In addition to the danger of spreading fires, those stong winds coupled with the unseasonably high temperatures, sure eats up what little moisture we got from recent showers. The old coot that has the place adjoining mine still burns his trash these days, and has a really rusted out barrel that lets a lot of daylight in! I've tried real hard to be nice to him, but I really wish some anonymous neighbor would turn him in and have the local authorities put the fear of the Lord into him.

The man from the fire dept said this is the 2nd time those people have started a fire from their garbage.

There are people just across the road that have been burning garbage, leaves, debris, ect.. I've called the sheriff and fire dept on them every time I see them. You would think they would get the point. Obviously they aren't getting a fine or they would stop.

Latest posts