Fire Ants

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
I was talking with a salesman at out friendly neighborhood JD dealer last weekend and the subject got around to fire ants.

He told me that one of his customers broadcast sulpher on his place every few years and keeps the fire ants in check. He said it doesn't kill the little devils. They just leave. Has anyone else heard anything about this?Z

Hadn't heard that one-- but a neighbor told me a new one he swears by-- I'm gonna give it a try

He said to wait for a hard cold spell- then dig up the top layer of the mound making a hole at least 10 inches deep.

He swears they can't handle it and die off.
I guess they can't get out to repair the damage and it messes up their environment way under ground somehow.

Howdyjabo":2b18rfij said:
Hadn't heard that one-- but a neighbor told me a new one he swears by-- I'm gonna give it a try

He said to wait for a hard cold spell- then dig up the top layer of the mound making a hole at least 10 inches deep.

He swears they can't handle it and die off.
I guess they can't get out to repair the damage and it messes up their environment way under ground somehow.
Don't think i'm up to digging a hole 10 inches deep on every ant hill on my place. Must be thousands on our farm.

Haven't heard of this but it got me to thinking there might be something to this. I have very few hills in my hay fields. Figured this was due to Lorsban I spray for armyworms but I don't spray this in the pastures and they are relatively free of fire ants as well. Been spreading about 15 lbs of Sulfur at each fertilization in all the fields. Only place I have any noticeable ants are on perimeter of fields or in the pecan groves. Could very well be due to sulfur since these areas do not receive any.

Jogeephus":2ugxrkl1 said:
Haven't heard of this but it got me to thinking there might be something to this. I have very few hills in my hay fields. Figured this was due to Lorsban I spray for armyworms but I don't spray this in the pastures and they are relatively free of fire ants as well. Been spreading about 15 lbs of Sulfur at each fertilization in all the fields. Only place I have any noticeable ants are on perimeter of fields or in the pecan groves. Could very well be due to sulfur since these areas do not receive any.
=====
...."15 lbs"......... per?

If it works the only downside to it that I can see is maybe some less then happy neighbors if they move next door.Z

Here is what I do for fire ants. You throw some chewing tobacco on the mound. The workers take it down in the mound and give it to the queen. When she comes out to spit, step on her and the fire ant problem is over.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

preston39":34smt9fs said:
Jogeephus":34smt9fs said:
=====
...."15 lbs"......... per?

Per Acre. Sorry. With emission controls on the power plants we are deficient in my area. Used to get it free.

Howdyjabo":2b1ifywm said:

For years my dad waits for a hard freeze (for us that's in the 20's), and goes out with his John Deere and drags a old railroad beam across the whole pasture. If breaks up the mounds and apparently the ants can't handle the below freezing weather. As many years as I've seen him do it, it's worked well.

Have friends down in florida that say when they get few day's of really wet weather is the best time to get them. They congregate & move up closer to the top of the soil.
Or sand if your in florida....