finishing with alternate grains

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
It seems that just about everyone here finishes with corn or sweet feed. Has anyone tried finishing their beef with alternate grains. I have been debating finishing a couple on rice or a rice corn mixture. I am going to put up a couple of bins and save a couple thousand bushels of milo from next year's crop, but if the rice would work I have a ample supply of it.

JB

J Baxter --- Milo will certainly work well as a feed substitute for corn. Many feedlots in Texas, Ok., Kansas, etc. use it. However, ask around or do a bit of reading about it --- as I recall, there is some "problem" associated with feeding unprocessed milo straight from the field. I think it needs to be rolled or otherwise treated in some manner. Darned if I can remember why, but I know I read about it years ago. Sorry that I can't offer any more definitive info.

i don't know if you grow barley where you are but we substitute barley for some of the corn when we are short of corn, and it works fine , but this year we won't need to because we have one of the best corn crops we've ever had.

I plan on grinding the milo before I feed it. The heavy rains and high water all spring ruined this year's milo crop or I would be feeding it now, however, I have a large quantity of scrap mill rice. I am debating blending feeding it. I just don't know what kind of finish I would get.

JB

Latest posts