Finishing ration-grain w/ mixed hay or just grass hay

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok im finishing out a group of heifers. Usually finishing of a group of steers or heifers we feed 10 lbs of 14% textured feed and free choice hay. We have fed mixed grass hay or straight grass hay and really havent seen that much daily gain difference. We are averaging about 2.1 lbs per day. I figure they need about 2.5 lbs of protein to get that rate of gain. So my thinking is that they dont need a 12 or 13% mixed grass hay to get that extra lb of protein if they are eating a good 20lbs of hay a day. I figure that a 8 or 9% grass hay will do the job. Now my thinking could be way off so let me know. If anyone has any suggestions as far as more or less feed let me know. The feed is 14% protein, 3% fat, and 9.5% crude fiber. The feed is costing my 275.00 a ton delivered. The feed is About a $1.40 a day for feed. Thanks Mike.

i would feed the lower protine hay an up their feed to 14 or 15lbs a hd a day.an you might increase your ADG.

Your problem is probably more with the feed than the hay. Increase the energy in the feed by adding corn. You're needing increased calories, not protein.

The feed I get from one of the largest mills in the nj, pa,and delaware. They say its the one steer mix that people have the best results with. I guess I could add some whole corn to the mix and up the feed to 14 or 15 lbs a day and go with grass hay. That would at least take both your suggestions. Its not that I think that 2.1 a day is that bad. I would just like to get it above 2.5 a day without a ton of added cost. Thanks Mike.

shadyhollownj":10z39s9x said:
Its not that I think that 2.1 a day is that bad. I would just like to get it above 2.5 a day without a ton of added cost. Thanks Mike.
Your paying $275/ton for this feed now. Replace it with some corn for $175/ton and you'll up your ADG for less money than your paying now.

shadyhollownj":3vcirk0u said:
The feed I get from one of the largest mills in the nj, pa,and delaware. They say its the one steer mix that people have the best results with. I guess I could add some whole corn to the mix and up the feed to 14 or 15 lbs a day and go with grass hay. That would at least take both your suggestions. Its not that I think that 2.1 a day is that bad. I would just like to get it above 2.5 a day without a ton of added cost. Thanks Mike.
If you don't cut overall feed quantity you'll increas cost.. You didnt' say how much you feed each animal but just cut 2-3 pounds of the purchased feed OUT and replace it with corn. You'll cut down on the excess protein and increase the calories in each pound of feed. don't know that you'll jump from 2.1 to 2.5 but you won't lose any gain and you'll save money as well.

We feed 10 lbs of 14% feed per head. Corn actually went up to 6.18 bu or 220.00 ton. But then again I have to see my bill this month after corn jumped to see what this feed is gona cost me now. So the savings will be less than 10 cents a day but every penny counts. Maybe I'll fed 7 lbs of 14% and 5 lbs of corn if it will up the calories. That will give me the same 1.4 lbs of protein , 2lb increase in feed ,and more energy from the five lbs of corn. It will actually be the same cost as well for more feed and energy. Thanks

shadyhollownj":2or14pze said:
We feed 10 lbs of 14% feed per head. Corn actually went up to 6.18 bu or 220.00 ton. But then again I have to see my bill this month after corn jumped to see what this feed is gona cost me now. So the savings will be less than 10 cents a day but every penny counts. Maybe I'll fed 7 lbs of 14% and 5 lbs of corn if it will up the calories. That will give me the same 1.4 lbs of protein , 2lb increase in feed ,and more energy from the five lbs of corn. It will actually be the same cost as well for more feed and energy. Thanks
Shady corn is even higher now....but IF that 14% feed has much corn in it then it's going to be higher too. There just are no more bargains out there unless you were lucky enough to contract some feed for Oct-March back in Sept.

Latest posts