finishing cattle; amount of grain

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
i can't seem to find a number in the search for per cent body weight in feed weight for finishing cattle. someone ask me the other day and i couldn't remember the ratio. anybody help me?

I start then at about 1/2% and ramp them up to 2%. But we only finish for our own table.

thanx dun; i was think'in around 2% but wasn't sure, likewise, the beef is for self indulgence....

My calves wean in the 700 lb range, I finish for friends and figure a ton of feed per calf. Some take more, some take less. gs

greg; how's that work? a ton over how long? i figured on charging $200 a head to finish them out. that would be about cost and about 3/4 ton of feed. i don't know what the goin rate is for finishing, but i would need to get a little more on your plan to break even....

If you use greg's scenario, I was buying grain, nutrients, and added protein for about $0.16/lb mixed. If you figure 1 ton of grain, then that is $320 per animal.

Corn is $7/bushel @ 55/lb /bushel = $0.13/lb @ $260/ton.

It doesn't look like you are going to make much money at $200/head.

terra8186":360e9hw0 said:
If you use greg's scenario, I was buying grain, nutrients, and added protein for about $0.16/lb mixed. If you figure 1 ton of grain, then that is $320 per animal.

Corn is $7/bushel @ 55/lb /bushel = $0.13/lb @ $260/ton.

It doesn't look like you are going to make much money at $200/head.
OR you're going to be feeding a really trashy mix of ingredients to get down to the $200 a ton and then you won't have much weight gain.

Sorry, I give 5 head, including one for myself, away every year. Part of salary for my help. I just figure it is gonna' take a ton per animal, don't really figure cost. With $7 corn, it's probably gonna' get expensive.
T47 part of being in business, wether plumbin' or feedin' cattle, is cost of business. Charge what it takes you to stay in business, not what it takes to sell a product or service. gs

thanx for the feedback. i didn't put the pencil to it like i should have, but it looks like i was fixin to lose my a$$ on that deal. i'll probably go by dun's figure's and i'll be able to keep better track of the feed........

Latest posts