Fingers crossed!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Perfect day for weaning yesterday (and that's my tiny little Mighty Mouse in the lead). And perfect weaning - zero issues, cows & calves were calm, finished in record time even though we didn't rush. But naturally, we got 2.75" of rain last night & the temp dropped 35 degrees. Fingers crossed I don't end up with another pneumonia tsunami!!!!IMG_20211011_085228.jpg

Very nice!

We needed that rain pretty bad! So glad to have gotten a good soaker this time.
Looks like another front moving in tomorrow night thru Wed.

BTW, two of my cowboys on horseback are 13 year old twins. They've been on a horse & worked cattle all their lives. Their dad (also on horseback) has never given them an allowance, but does reward all their hard work throughout the year by adding to their own, growing herd. They don't have cell phones with them when they work, they shake your hand, they're expected to do their best at school & do their part around the house & ranch. Love those boys!!

It's getting to be that time of year. Got most of our preg checking done. Haven't weaned yet, but thinking about it.

Do you use any sulfa in the water or Areo crumbles wean you wean?

Going to wean a bunch, and cull some tomorrow. Hope the market is favorable. Hay supply is low, so not holding many calves.

It's getting to be that time of year. Got most of our preg checking done. Haven't weaned yet, but thinking about it.

Do you use any sulfa in the water or Areo crumbles wean you wean?
No sulfa but tried the Aero last year. Honestly, all it did was give my calves the runs and didn't do squat to help with pneumonia. Vet wanted me to try it because he was going to with his own calves. He had the same, disappointing results (plus, it's not cheap!). My calves do have CTC in their mineral. Three rounds of respiratory can't fight Mother Nature.

Going to wean a bunch, and cull some tomorrow. Hope the market is favorable. Hay supply is low, so not holding many calves.
How long will you hold yours? I'm still weaning a minimum 45 days, prob sell before the end of the year. We definitely didn't do as well with our hay this year, but still have a lot left over from last year.

How long will you hold yours? I'm still weaning a minimum 45 days, prob sell before the end of the year. We definitely didn't do as well with our hay this year, but still have a lot left over from last year.
Only holding a few, for weaning. The rest are being weaned on the trailer this time, we have a few yerlings that we're going to sell early 2022.

Its passed here. We've gotten a bunch of rain! But the ground is still firm! Must've been pretty dry.

And dont even get me started on daylight!
Where did it gogo!?!?
Still dark at 7 a.m.

I gotta go check my babies at the other place. Perhaps being a few weeks old and them kids having colostrum will help?

working cattle is sooo much nicer when they are calm and relaxed around the people (and horses) working with them. I am always impressed with your comments about your herd. GREAT JOB.

working cattle is sooo much nicer when they are calm and relaxed around the people (and horses) working with them. I am always impressed with your comments about your herd. GREAT JOB.
Thank you! And yet, it's not always a love fest. One of the weaned heifers was getting waaaay too aggressive this morning, trying to head butt me like she knew I was the one responsible for ganking her from her mama. So I punched her in the nose and split open my knuckle. Didn't phase her (the equivalent of punching a brick wall) and I clearly didn't learn my lesson from the last time I did that years ago.:rolleyes:

Thank you! And yet, it's not always a love fest. One of the weaned heifers was getting waaaay too aggressive this morning, trying to head butt me like she knew I was the one responsible for ganking her from her mama. So I punched her in the nose and split open my knuckle. Didn't phase her (the equivalent of punching a brick wall) and I clearly didn't learn my lesson from the last time I did that years ago.:rolleyes:
Bahahahaha!
Seven is the WORST about sticking her nose where it dont belong. I went down to the barn on the 4 wheeler last night to grab a few squares for the kids in the pen. On the way back she trots right in front of me and just stops!! Then proceeds to want to stick her head in my face. (She ain't fazed by the 4 wheeler, I made the mistake of feeding her bottles off of it when she was still a baby) I'm about tired of having to smack her on the nose...

A friend of mine broke his hand, punching his show steer. In the heat of the moment it seemed like a good idea. But their head is a whole lot harder than your hand. Carry a fat wiffle ball bat. It won't hurt them, but it will sure get their attention. And your hand will hurt a whole lot less;)

Low of 38 tonight!

Too early for this crap... ahhh well, I guess an actual fall season will be nice for a change. Instead of 105 degrees one day and then ice storm the next day!

Idk that ive ever actually punched a bovine. Lol.
Tho Seven tries my patience occasionally she knows what a good slap on the nose means. Give me some space!

Day 6 and no coughing, snotty noses, lagging or droopy ears. Stopped bawling by the 3rd day and they're all eating well and pounding the mineral & protein tubs. Friend of mine came out with her pregnant daughter yesterday to do "baby bump" pics. That's a thing with city people? Whatever. But my calves were game. Well, Derby was humiliated, but she took it like a champ. All good!

Attachments

• IMG_20211016_165949.jpg
    IMG_20211016_165949.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20211016_151359267.jpg
    IMG_20211016_151359267.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20211016_151426127.jpg
    IMG_20211016_151426127.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20211016_151524701.jpg
    IMG_20211016_151524701.jpg