Finding Pasture for lease?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Is it almost impossible to find any grazing pasture for lease now days?Like finding a needle in a hay stack is what I am being told.The ones who got the lease are playing hardball politics money under the table to keep it like that.Just wondering if it is the same in other parts of Texas or in other states.Looks like only way to expand to to buy more land.The we all know about land prices.Just making it that much more difficult to even stay in the cow business.

Folks are ruthless around here. There's about 200 acres down the road that a man had leased for his cattle. He died a few years ago, and the day that he died, the owner had several phone calls from folks wanting to lease the property.

I have seen people here rent land for a price that was so high they knew they would lose money for several years. They told me that were thinking cattle prices would be higher in 3-5 years . They also figured that by that time the owner will be acustom to renting it to them. Some people love raising cattle so much they have no intention of making a profit.
It 's hard for me to compete with people who are not interested in making a profit.

I have found land to lease by looking for land that the present tenants do not take care of. The owners are usually more than happy to make the change in tenants. I can get pretty good prices this way as I trade improvement, clean up, for rent.

Hard to find pasture land to lease around here. Lots of folks in the past abused the land, never kept the fences up, overgrazed the property and on and on. Folks left with a bad taste in their mouth so they just let it set and grow hackberry and persimmon trees. IF you can find a place now you pay a premium and first thing you gotta do is rebuild most of the fence.

I wasn't even looking and an owner approached me with a heck of a deal. His words were, "If you don't lease it, no one else will because I wouldn't lease to anyone else."

Brahma Bull":22c0ipnz said:
Is it almost impossible to find any grazing pasture for lease now days?Like finding a needle in a hay stack is what I am being told.The ones who got the lease are playing hardball politics money under the table to keep it like that.Just wondering if it is the same in other parts of Texas or in other states.Looks like only way to expand to to buy more land.The we all know about land prices.Just making it that much more difficult to even stay in the cow business.

Sam, did you call that number I sent you? Was Cody able to help?

backhoeboogie":zjcrg4fi said:
I wasn't even looking and an owner approached me with a heck of a deal. His words were, "If you don't lease it, no one else will because I wouldn't lease to anyone else."

Thats about the only way to get land leased around here.

Used to be lots of land available- so it was a renters market. Fences were the owners responsibility/and decent ones were a requirement. Now fences are the renters responsibility- and some renters are even putting up new fences just to be able to rent land.

With land prices so high the kids and widows aren;t sitting on land like they used to. They want money or the land is a headache and its sold.

From past experience- if you are going to rent land and put in long term improvements(fencing,water,lime ect) get a long term lease with a buy out clause. We got burnt several times with land getting sold out from under us before we recouped our investments- even good people just don't understand farm economics any more.

I have found some in the local paper and I have also found some by going to the real estate offices and asking them if they know of anyone who needs cattle on their place for ag use. Give them my number for anyone who buys land and needs cattle on it too.

Earl Thigpen":15cg3kwx said:
Brahma Bull":15cg3kwx said:

Sam, did you call that number I sent you? Was Cody able to help?
Didn't get around to it today but will tomorrow.Burning candle on both ends right now got so many irons in the fire.Saw a 778 acres for sale couple weeks ago,boy would that be nice,but have to win the lotto to get that.Wouldn't need to look for pasture to lease if I had that.

Latest posts