Finally Open!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Buck N' Bull

Reaction score
We finally got open last Saturday for custom exempt processing. Got some nice beef in the cooler. First hams went through the smoker yesterday, and about to put some bacons in. Been working through some teething issues. I thought we were putting in long days during building, but that has been nothing compared to working through all the opening headaches. By Monday the major problems should be eradicated.

I have been thrilled with my pens so far. It is simple for customer to get backed, and the cattle are unloading easily. More importantly, the cows walk straight on in to get knocked so easily that most times we just open the gate and stand there quietly.

We could use some more help, particularly some with some experience, so if anyone knows of anyone around the Bowie, TX area who would like a job, please send them our way. No experience isn't an issue as long as they are willing to learn and be a team player. We have a happy work environment and intend to keep it that way!

Despite many people calling, I did not out any dates during building until I knew we would be open, so if you are around here and needing dates, please feel free to contact us. At this point there are plenty of dates available, but you know that won't last long!!

Congratulations. I'm sure your hard work will soon be paying dividends.
How many beef do you expect to be able to process say in a week once you hit max efficiency?

Way to go! May you grow old and prosper! A beef processing business near Bowie, Texas! The top of the world must be near by!

Congratulations. I'm sure your hard work will soon be paying dividends.
How many beef do you expect to be able to process say in a week once you hit max efficiency?
Until I get more staff trained we will probably only do a couple a day. I would rather do a little less than we can handle compared to getting ourselves into a situation where we can't keep up. Bad press moves much faster than the good word. The goal is to get up to processing 10 head a day by the end of the first 12 months of business.

Congratulations! where in Bowie are you located? What's your business name and phone number?

It'll be nice to have some local options for processing now that you're open and Nocona Meat Company opened last month.

Congratulations! where in Bowie are you located? What's your business name and phone number?

It'll be nice to have some local options for processing now that you're open and Nocona Meat Company opened last month.
Buck n' Bull Meatworx 940-253-1234
116 Roscoe Ln

Just head toward Montague on 59 and take a right at the flashing yellow light just outside town. We are down about 3/4 mile on left hand side.

We finally got open last Saturday for custom exempt processing. Got some nice beef in the cooler. First hams went through the smoker yesterday, and about to put some bacons in. Been working through some teething issues. I thought we were putting in long days during building, but that has been nothing compared to working through all the opening headaches. By Monday the major problems should be eradicated.

I have been thrilled with my pens so far. It is simple for customer to get backed, and the cattle are unloading easily. More importantly, the cows walk straight on in to get knocked so easily that most times we just open the gate and stand there quietly.

We could use some more help, particularly some with some experience, so if anyone knows of anyone around the Bowie, TX area who would like a job, please send them our way. No experience isn't an issue as long as they are willing to learn and be a team player. We have a happy work environment and intend to keep it that way!

Despite many people calling, I did not out any dates during building until I knew we would be open, so if you are around here and needing dates, please feel free to contact us. At this point there are plenty of dates available, but you know that won't last long!!
Congratulations! I'd love to see some pics of your pens and how your alley turned out.

Here's a question for you who'd know better. I typically butcher for myself if it's just going to my table, but for selling to others this is obviously not above board. My cousin started last year into butchering and meatcutting and he's thinking of starting his own business. With a USDA certification, can he cross state lines to butcher? Or would he need to be working from a facility certified in that state?

Here's a question for you who'd know better. I typically butcher for myself if it's just going to my table, but for selling to others this is obviously not above board. My cousin started last year into butchering and meatcutting and he's thinking of starting his own business. With a USDA certification, can he cross state lines to butcher? Or would he need to be working from a facility certified in that state?
If he goes USDA he can sell nationally. If he goes under inspection with state, then he can only legally sell in TX. If he goes custom exempt, he has to process the cow for the customer. That customer may only own a quarter of that cow, but that is ok. I know I have had inspectors tell me already to only go under inspection (where your kills are inspected and the meat can be sold as individual cuts to the public) if I really have to because the extra hassle is not worth it otherwise. We do intend to put in a little meat market at a later date, but won't go under inspection until I have a full staff trained up.

Last edited:
If he goes USDA he can sell nationally. If he goes under inspection with state, then he can only legally sell in TX. If he goes custom exempt, he has to process the cow for the customer. That customer may only own a quarter of that cow, but that is ok. I know I have had inspectors tell me already to only go under inspection (where your kills are inspected and the meat can be sold as individual cuts to the public) if I really have to because the extra hassle is not worth it otherwise. We do intend to put in a little meat market at a later date, but won't go under inspection until I have a full staff trained up.
This should be a 'Sticky" at the top of the Beef Butchering Section. This question is asked once every couple of months.

As an aside, one of my staff members' husband is a USDA Inspector. I have yet to sit down with him to talk, but I know that they all have stories to tell. Right now he is assigned to a chicken processing plant here in our area.

I would definitely drive to Bowie from Springtown. Next freezer beef will ne comming your way. Unfortunately, our freezers are full right now. I will let people know.

Until I get more staff trained we will probably only do a couple a day. I would rather do a little less than we can handle compared to getting ourselves into a situation where we can't keep up. Bad press moves much faster than the good word. The goal is to get up to processing 10 head a day by the end of the first 12 months of business.
10 per day is a lofty goal. Teal in Weatherford only does 27 per week. Their limitation may be refrigeration capacity or space. Hess in Muenster added capacity to hang beef a few years back as well as redesigning their chute to handle longhorns.

10 per day is a lofty goal. Teal in Weatherford only does 27 per week. Their limitation may be refrigeration capacity or space. Hess in Muenster added capacity to hang beef a few years back as well as redesigning their chute to handle longhorns.
I am planning on adding a big cooler, maybe something like 40' x 50'. My start up refrigeration is shipping containers which do a great job, but I have to quarter them to fit them in, which halves the hanging capacity. I had an inspector in one day and he was surprised when I said my goal was 10/day. He felt with the bigger cooler I could handle even more. I would rather run things under capacity than over. When it becomes all about chasing the almighty dollar, things tend to go pear shaped, particularly for the customer.

If you are planning on adding a big cooler you might want to consider an adequate generator as well.
Otherwise you may find yourself Crossing the Delaware with wet powder,,
Consider if you will, erring on the side of caution. A well oiled machine running at 6 a day to work out any
unforeseen quirks before graduating to a volume of scale may be the best interest of both you and customer.
I wish you well in acquiring good
personnel! Note* Once I turned on italics I could not get it to turn off! sorry....

If you are planning on adding a big cooler you might want to consider an adequate generator as well.
Otherwise you may find yourself Crossing the Delaware with wet powder,,
Consider if you will, erring on the side of caution. A well oiled machine running at 6 a day to work out any
unforeseen quirks before graduating to a volume of scale may be the best interest of both you and customer.
I wish you well in acquiring good
personnel! Note* Once I turned on italics I could not get it to turn off! sorry....
For sure. I have been told that I am on a line that is considered essential, which does give me some piece of mind. I have heard if it goes down in is literally for minutes. That being said, I do have a 3 phase generator which we will set up just as soon as we can get the other presently more pressing issues out of the way.

PS...love the italics! :LOL:

Buck n' Bull Meatworx 940-253-1234
116 Roscoe Ln

Just head toward Montague on 59 and take a right at the flashing yellow light just outside town. We are down about 3/4 mile on left hand side.
So actually your in montage?
we have always used Hess meat, they do a very good job but are usually 9-12 months out when you schedule. Glad you are open! Need more local in the area so there are alternatives for those of us who sell a couple a year to locals. Nocona I believe just opened one also. I really think you guys will be very well received.