Finally My Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
My original or first cow line has been disappearing over the decades. That's kind of a tradition here to keep your first cow line alive and going. Grand Pa gave dad and my uncles their 1st cow and they kept replacements etc... Well dad gave me my first cow at 10 or 12 and I've kept replacements along the way throughout the years. Well when I decided to head to a purebred herd I started buying my purebred register females. Therefore, I sold my original calves through the yards and even retained some heifers and sold them to other commercial herds. Between having to sell some of my cows for age and other culling reasons and one dying unexpectantly and the others having bulls all the time I was afraid my first cow line was gonna run out. I was down to just 2 members of my first cow line Whitey & Mask. Well Whitey teats are getting oversized therefore I had decided to sell her before she calved again, she usually always had a bull anyway. Mask had a set of twins I had posted before both bulls (one red and one black) and then last year she had another bull. Thought last year might would be her last calf here but I decided to keep her and now finally the heifer.

That's really cool, congrats to you, and good luck with her. I hope the line continues well for you.

My 'first' cow line is good at making heifers.. this year EVERY one from that family had heifer calves (7 of them)... I think about 3 of them are good for replacements.. A couple of the calves are double-stacked from that line too, and they look pretty nice.
Hope this new one keeps on the tradition for you

Thanks for the replies everybody! I didn't expect this calf to have that much white. Yes mother has a bunch but she really has never passed it on hardly at all. She's had one calf that has almost had a whole white face once and she has had a couple with mini back white socks being solid everywhere else. Other than that the rest of the calves have been solid black or solid red. Therefore I think my SVF Packin Heat son really kicked the chrome out on this one or maybe they both did. He's been giving us several blaze face calves from cows with no white in the pedigree. His Dam is a Built Right daughter and that's where he's getting the white. I just know when I saw this calf at a distance I thought hope that is a heifer because if not it will get tagged when sold at the livestock market. Anyway I'm happy it's a heifer and hopefully she'll grow out nicely, all her calves in the past have done well.