Finally found one!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
For years now I've been looking for an older loaded really slick 6x4 diesel Gator. Last week I found a 1999 with a hydraulic dump bed, Curtis cab w/ piped in heat w/ 3 speed fan from the radiator, a Warn winch,total light package w/ turn signals, windshield wipers, drive flat tires, complete grill and fender guard. This machine only has 890 hours on it. It was owned by a older gentleman that just used it like a golf cart. He had missed placed the windshield hardware and it needed a battery. So far that's all I've found wrong. I can't believe what these machines are worth! I've been told I made a good buy on it at $6500. Any thoughts or opinions will be appreciated. :pop: B&G

My only thought was that cab would have felt good about 5:00 this morning.

Looks like a nice machine and I would think you got a good deal. What is the primary function of the 4 wheels in the rear? Is it more for flotation or load capacity?

You have what you want and it looks like a great rig to me. The new Kubota RTV that I've been looking at with AC and heat is 3 times the price of your gator. Have fun and stay warm.

SteppedInIt":gqvmtr4c said:
Looks like a nice machine and I would think you got a good deal. What is the primary function of the 4 wheels in the rear? Is it more for flotation or load capacity?

Kinda both. They have differential lock that makes all four turn together. When it's unlocked I think the front rears pull. B&G

Bigfoot":2s6t2km2 said:

My thoughts exactly! For years I've been using a Land Pride Trekker no cab. This Gator should be great at calving time. The only thing I wish is the cab was larger pretty small for a fat boy like me! LOL B&G

Black and Good":3bfyjswd said:
Bigfoot":3bfyjswd said:

My thoughts exactly! For years I've been using a Land Pride Trekker no cab. This Gator should be great at calving time. The only thing I wish is the cab was larger pretty small for a fat boy like me! LOL B&G

Is this a picture of you in it?

Bigfoot":6uuc6g47 said:

No kidding, 12F here this morning.

I've been checking cows in a $1600 Jeep Cherokee this week, my old 4wheeler is just a tad nippy.

Nesikep":ki0bl3k7 said:
Black and Good":ki0bl3k7 said:
Bigfoot":ki0bl3k7 said:

Is this a picture of you in it?

LOL! Probably pretty close! :nod:

I have always wondered why they have such small beds. Seems like a lot of machine to pull such a small/light load. Does any one make at least a longer bed?

City Guy":k3bj69vb said:
I have always wondered why they have such small beds. Seems like a lot of machine to pull such a small/light load. Does any one make at least a longer bed?
I agree. My Land Pride Trekker has a bed that about a 1' Longer. B&G

My cousin was a grounds keeper for a golf course and he had one that had a 6' or longer bed. I think it was Japanese. I know it was bare bones.

SteppedInIt":2k86vtgx said:
Mine is Polaris not John Deere but on mine the front set of rear axles barely touches the ground until it's either the bed is loaded or it goes over something. Mine has a bed capacity that allows me to haul 1200lb but can easily haul a 4x4 roll of hay. It's either the rear axle pulling or all 6 pulls.
Again JD may be different

Its chain driven to the wheels correct?

They are usually one tire fire until you lock it up. So one tire on the front, rear axle will drive most of the time. Those things are tanks... literally. When you put a little weight in the bed and go over a hill the front tires go up in the air until the rears break over. My friends dad had one that we hunted out of for years. It had a dog box with a seat on top. It was straight up abused and lasted a long time. Only down side is the ground clearance but if you unload a little weight off, it will float right back up on top and you can take off again.

I think we have same or close yr machine we put run flats on and maxed out tire clearance, I would have liked to have taller tires due to where we run in the back 10 is a swampy area.somrtimes we have to go looking for a calf. We also put a guñ scab in cab. Great when fixing fence and countless other chors. A gator has saved me miles of walking. PD 6400 for ours worth every dollar!!!

Latest posts