Filters

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I brought my year's supply of tractor filters at NAPA. They have a half price sale in March and October. So I saved a lot and I am sure they still made money. I was just wondering what is the mark up on Filters and other parts. Just wondering.

The only NAPA sales I have seen on filters is 1/2 off list price.
You may save 10 to 20 percent

Don't know who makes orielys store brand, but they are 1/3 the price of the name brands.

Yes they make a little during the sale. But that is only because the get a rebate from the manufacture on the filters sold during the sale. If they offered the same price any other time of year they would be selling them at a loss ,below there cost.

I put 350000 miles on a Honda Accord and all it ever had was Fram filters and Castro oil. Sold it to a guy who delivered the Kingsport Times Newspaper for two years with it and he resold it. I still see it on the road from time to time.

farmguy said:
I brought my year's supply of tractor filters at NAPA. They have a half price sale in March and October. So I saved a lot and I am sure they still made money. I was just wondering what is the mark up on Filters and other parts. Just wondering.
if your wondering what the mark up is. Cat will sell you a $500,000 piece of equipment and that piece of equipment will use 1.5 million in parts threw its life span. So you tell me the mark up.

I worked for a NAPA about 15 years ago. They ate it on filters from their accounts. They were selling them all at a loss, but got a rebate from the manufacturer and NAPA. I wish I could remember the markup but it was close to 80-100% markup. So they buy the filter for $3.50 and sell it for $7, BUT that was just to the guy off the street.

I remember having a display on the counter that showed the difference between Fram and NAPA filters and it was very surprising the difference in the two brands. Fram are junk, but they're cheap, so they sell well.